What HDD???

Ben Avery 16:27 31 Jul 03

G'day

I'm about to add a second hard drive (in a USB 2.0/1.1 Enclosure) as I often use my notebook now instead of my workstation and so want to set the "My Documents" idea up as a separate drive which can be used with both through the USB ports (2.0 on workstation, 1.1 on laptop)

Looking at the current prices on dabs can see 2 which would happily suit at 60GB each.

Which of these would be better, if any? Seagate or Maxtor?

Seagate seem to be the slightly more "tested" and possibly reliable, while the Maxtor has a faster transfer speed off 133 instead of 100.

What would you advise?

Cheers!

BA

dazzling (work) 16:41 31 Jul 03

you probably wont notice the diffrence in transfer speeds.i have to maxtors which ive had no problems with,but seagate are supposed t6o be very reliable as well.darren

Ben Avery 16:49 31 Jul 03

I am currently using a Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB in my workstation/desktop computer and it has been fine.

Does anyone know the difference between the Seagate Barracuda 7200.1 and the Barracuda V range? Is it purely the transfer speeds again? (I think the V range is SATA 150)

Sorry forgot to add links to above, they are here:

Seagate - click here

Maxtor - click here

BA

Ben Avery 18:06 31 Jul 03

^bump^

dazzling (work) 19:20 31 Jul 03

i think im right in saying serial ata run on different connectors which you have to get converters for if your motherboard doesnt suppourt it.they are supposed to be very fast but only as quick as your lowest common denominator.so if your motherboard does not suppourt serial ata you will only get the speed of the drives it does suppourt.

dazzling (work) 19:23 31 Jul 03

ben have a look here click here

Ben Avery 22:22 31 Jul 03

I think I'll stick with the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 range as it got good reviews on ebuyer compared to the Maxtor.

Thanks for the info on SATA!

Cheers.

BA

DieSse 23:47 31 Jul 03

The ATA speed makes little difference anyway, as drives don't run fast enough mechanically to keep up with even ATA66. And via USB, as this would be even lower transfer rates, the ATA speed is irrelevant.

In fact I think you would be better off going for a 5400rpm drive, as they run much cooler, and possibly a little quieter - both very important in an external enclosure - and once again no impact on the USB transfer rates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…