what have i got?

Tk_RiceZ 02:25 20 Dec 03

hey there, at my start up, powernow, some sort of virus always load even though i disable it in msconfig and downloaded the uninstalling software from the site..........what can i do to get rid of it?

p4 3.2, 1gb ram, windows XP pro

temp003 04:34 20 Dec 03

You should tell us, if you can, what the virus is called and what file is infected.

Otherwise, normally, when you have XP, you should disable System Restore (you will lose all restore points), restart into Safe Mode, and use your AV to scan and remove virus.

Some viruses write entries to the registry and create Run or Run Once entries on startup, and you need to terminate the virus process in Task Manager before you start removal. That's why it would help if you can tell us what the virus is. Or give us the link to the download page for the removal tool which you have downloaded, so that we can tell you what else you can do.

MAJ 08:23 20 Dec 03

Powernow isn't a virus, it's an AMD utily that optimises your battery life. Are you using a laptop?

MAJ 08:24 20 Dec 03

utily.... should read.....utility.

Tk_RiceZ 11:54 20 Dec 03

nope, its a desktop, but i disabled it in msconfig. why won't it remove?

Jester2K II 11:55 20 Dec 03

How do you know its a virus?

Tk_RiceZ 12:05 20 Dec 03

what is it if its not a virus??????? if its not why can't i remove it at all?

Jester2K II 12:07 20 Dec 03

It looks like a utility that should be there. There maybe a secondary program that makes sure the user doesn;t fiddle with the settings.

Do you have up to date Anti Virus?

Djohn 12:11 20 Dec 03

Have you had a look in your "Power settings" Even though you have a desktop, you may have it set as a laptop in "Power management". This will explain why it keeps re-loading.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5