What have I fried?

Big Elf 12:52 25 Mar 03

I was moving my computer and the monitor cable came out of the socket. I forgot to switch off at the wall and when I first tried to insert it I heard a faint crackling noise. When I boot up I get past the BIOS screen but windows XP doesn't load. When I start it in safe mode it gets as far as loading AGP440.sys and then freezes.

Have a damaged my AGP card, the motherboard or something else?

Tog 12:59 25 Mar 03

Probably just the data on your hard disk. Some kind XP person may know how to recover it.

Spook Tooth 13:03 25 Mar 03

Have you tried the lost good configuration option?

Big Elf 13:03 25 Mar 03

Thanks. I didn't think of that I'm trying to see whether the repair option will work at this moment.

Spook Tooth 13:05 25 Mar 03

The 'last'...

Strange sounding problem though. I have connected a loose monitor lead to my video card with the computer running before with no such problems.

It will be interesting to here what others think the problem is...

Big Elf 13:10 25 Mar 03

I aborted the repair and tried last known good configuration but the system hung. I'm trying the repair option again.

Big Elf 13:21 25 Mar 03

I've got to the recovery console (I didn't know it was available in XP Home) but now I'm lost. I thought when you selected the repair option it re-installed some or all of the files. Does anyone have any idea where I progess from here?

VoG™ 13:28 25 Mar 03

Recovery console click here

Spook Tooth 13:29 25 Mar 03

I've seen that a couple of the Andys on this site are expert at this sort of thing, i can;t remember which one in particular though, AndySD?? He'll no doubt be looking in later on in the evening I think...

It is well worth doing a search for what you are attempting to do - as mentioned, request for guidance to doing this kind of recovery comes up all the time, and I am sorry but I don't know myself how to use the recovery console (all DOS to me...) or the use of the repair thing which is diffent.

You need to watch for the various options given in the Windows XP recovery/repair atapi CD boot up process thing, as it's not as logically laid out as it might be. The repair option I think restores windows XP registry files only to whaat they were as they were when first installed. (You'll lose the functionality of any programs installed prior to installing the OS but be able to recover your documents and back them up of course).

This is just the limited understanding I have on it - please do that search of the site - I am sure it will have far better advice. I'll give the matter more thought and if I find anything which may help I'll pop it here...

Spook Tooth 13:30 25 Mar 03

Well VoG™'s on the case. Your chances of successful recovery have improved!

Big Elf 13:40 25 Mar 03

I've looked at the recovery console options and realise that I don't know what to do with it. I know which file appears to be damaged but don't know how to get to it (or even where it is).

Thanks for the tip about finding the repair option. You have to go through the setup windows option to find it and that's what I'm doing now.

I've no concerns over losing data as I have a strict back-up regime which includes copying data to a PCMCIA hard drive which I've transferred to my laptop. At most I've lost about an hours data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…