What have I done?

ulrich 19:42 16 Apr 04

I have put a new cooler on my CPU and round cable on the HD, now Win XP only loads upto Win XP start with the green lights. I can start in safe mode and I am doing a scan disk.
What might I have done wrong? I do have another HD(new),but am I going to have problems with installing Win XP as I don't have original XP disc as it is preinstalled.

User-312386 19:50 16 Apr 04

are you sure its cooling corectly?

Have you by mistake knocked the IDE cable out of the HDD?

harps1h 20:02 16 Apr 04

have you installed any hardware or software before you did this?

Djohn 20:03 16 Apr 04

Have you used the end connector of the new IDE cable rather than the middle one? The end connector is the correct one to use by the way.

ulrich 20:15 16 Apr 04

Cooling seems ok according to the bios 40deg or under. I think I put the IDE cable upside down,
but I can run Safe Mode, I can run scan disk, its checking the files but slowly, the other 4 checks it has completed and ok and pretty quick. I forgot that when I went for a walk last night my son had a blue screen, but I forgot, so I'm not sure if this is the problem. I've done system restore, but no joy. Should I reinstal and start again?

ulrich 21:48 16 Apr 04

After much messing, PC now working. I am thinking the HD stuck, as I havn't changed anything.

Thank you as usual for your help. Oh temp has dropped 7degs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…