What have I broken?

bridgjr 10:55 21 Aug 07

I have a home network setup and it has been working fine for a long time. The other day I was copying some large files between computers and the link broke.

I can now no longer reestablish a link to my router from my desktop computer. I have 2 laptops which connect to the router fine both wirelessly and wired. The desktop has both wired and wireless connections which will no longer connect or more particularly they don't seem to be assigned an IP address by DHCP. I have now tried every combination I can think of and it just will not connect. I have also tried a linux partition that was working previously and this will also not connect.

Bear in mind this was working fine previously and I can still connect to the router from 2 other computers.

My assumption is it's a hardware problem but please can someone advise what this could be. As both the built in ethernet and PCI wireless card will not connect I'm assuming it's something else but can anybody point me in the right direction?

Many thanks
Julian Bridges

ambra4 12:47 21 Aug 07

It a seem to be a router problem seeing that no equipment can connect, have you rebooted the router by turn it off an back on after 1 min.

If still not working try resetting the router and try a new set up, if still not working replace the router

bridgjr 12:57 22 Aug 07

Thanks for the reply but I tried to make clear that 2 out of the 3 computers are working fine with the router both wired and wireless and using different ports on the router.

My thinking is that it is some piece of hardware which controls networking but not sure what that could be?

bridgjr 11:44 31 Aug 07

Ok fixed now, looks like it was dust on a connection somewhere, when I opened up the PC and cleared it all out it connected again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…