What hardware/software to buy for printing?

i-dunno 12:30 PM 30 Mar 10

Hi all,
I am looking for the right hardware and/or software for my business. I primarily need to be able to construct and print monthly sales presentation offers. These need to be of a high professional spec.
I've used office and powerpoint and they are ok for basic printing of images, but I now need to move into the 21st century!

Any help would be gratefully received.

wiz-king 05:40 AM 31 Mar 10

Come on! Give us some clues! 10 or 10,000, one page flyer with text and a photo or small booklets?

wee eddie 10:09 AM 31 Mar 10

A question:

Are you going to print these yourself or send them out?

An answer:

'but not necessarily the one you want'

If, the latter, I believe that a Mac and Quark (Express) which is the Industry standard software but you may have to pay £2,000, or so, for the two. This is not something that you can start using on a whim, there is a steep learning curve.

There are many, simpler, cheaper, programs out there and you can use a PC, but don't use M$ Publisher, no-one can read it's files.

i-dunno 16:08 PM 31 Mar 10

Ok Wiz-king, I suppose I was being a bit vague!

I need to be able to print off an A4 sized promotions sheet, doing approx 300 a month.
I want to be able to get images printed to a high quality as a background and be able to overlap it with print.

I am a sole trader in the hair and beauty business. These promotions sheets would be dropped into the salons every month with different monthly deals on them. As I am competing against the likes of L'oreal, wella etc, I need my marketing to be of a high quality, yet be possible for myself to accomplish!

As I said before, I've used powerpoint and word in the past, but it just looks too basic for my needs.

i-dunno 20:51 PM 31 Mar 10

Cheers wee eddie.

wee eddie 21:31 PM 31 Mar 10

You need:

1. a PC ~ almost basic one will do. say £400 - £500.

2. A colour Laser Printer ~ see the PCA Reviews for recommendations, but £300 should do the trick. Even though Colour Lasers do not print at quite quality of Ink-jets, the page quality is good, it's faster, waterproof and the cost, per page, is considerably less.

3. Desktop Publishing Program ~ Serif has a good reputation and has a 'free' Version click here

i-dunno 08:38 AM 01 Apr 10

Thanks for your advice Eddie. That looks as though it'll do the job. Much appreciated.

wiz-king 08:41 AM 02 Apr 10

If the pictures you use are 'commercial' ones make sure you have the owners permission to use them. click here there are plenty of free images out there a sample click here

HondaMan 12:35 PM 30 Dec 10

I use an OKI C5600DN and its colour prints are great. That model is now out of production, but there are newer and probably better printers in OKI's on-line store. I also use Serif Page Plus X5 and have useds Serif's software ( and others ) for many years. Logon to click here and check out its offerings, but do not pay the suggested prices. They are always having special offers!

Mike_tech 13:14 PM 06 Apr 11

I use HP printer & software. It's good for me.

Chris the Ancient 09:42 AM 07 Apr 11

This thread was started over a year ago.

I would suspect it was resolved but no ticked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know