What happens to my network if I wipe my hard drive

lisawe55 16:58 05 Feb 05

My son's computer is pysically connected to mine, and he accesses the internet through a router. What will happen to the network if I wipe my hard drive?

AndySD 17:01 05 Feb 05

Are both yor pcs connected to the router for internet access or does yours connect to the internet through his?

lisawe55 17:01 05 Feb 05

Both of our computers are running XP. Don't know whether this will make a difference but I am always told to give this info :)

Both of our computers are running XP. Don't know whether this will make a difference but I am always told to give this info :)

lisawe55 17:04 05 Feb 05

I have a cable modem connected to my computer; my son't computer is connected to a router which is also connected to my computer. I'm not too good with this stuff, sorry!

AndySD 17:11 05 Feb 05

NP

When you reinstall XP after wiping the drive it should give you the option to recreate the network. If not then after reloading the broadband software go Start then Control Panel then Network Connections and run the networking wizard.

lisawe55 17:14 05 Feb 05

Thanks for that. one more question. I have a drive for storage. Do I understand that I can move programs over as well as documents to save?

AndySD 17:25 05 Feb 05

You can move documents accross and any downloaded programs (but only the files you downloaded, not the ones in the program files folder) Remember to make sure you have a note of the broadbanf Name and password, also you can save your Favorites and emails (if using outlook or outlook express)and your address book. If you need help with any of these please ask.

lisawe55 17:33 05 Feb 05

Someone was kind enough to save my Outlook messages and address book, I believe in my documents. Only problem will be getting it back afterwards. I think I'll cross that bridge when I come to it! Thanks, Andy, ur a star

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…