What happened?

Astrid 08:19 16 Sep 10

Working on my Windows XP SP3 computer yesterday, I was attempting to read a PDF file by clicking on Acrobat when suddenly the blue screen appeared with a long coded line of letters and numbers. I had no alternative but to Restart and, to my surprise, instead of my normal startup screen plus icons there was the Windows green hill and clouds. I was then presented with a Windows tutorial, just as though I'd switched on a new computer. I went into my email - nothing. I went into my Google browser, and this was as though up for the first time. I almost panicked. It seemed everything was gone and this was just the beginning of a new machine. I tried System Restore to the previous day - message said it had not been possible. Last resort, I tried System Restore to earlier yesterday, and Bingo all came back as it had been before. But what happened? If I hadn't had System Restore I'd have been stuck with all that NEWNESS. My computer appeared to have forgotten, or mislaid, months and years of work, folders, messages, etc. Does this mean my computer isn't really safe any more?

birdface 08:31 16 Sep 10

Looks like it may have gone back to factory settings for some reason.
Not got a clue as to why it should have happened but I can remember it happening to one or two others in the last few years.

birdface 08:34 16 Sep 10

Best bet would be to run all of your security programs just to be in the safe side.
No doubt someone will be able to explain why it happened.

BRYNIT 08:35 16 Sep 10

I could not say what happened but it does shout out backup all your files to an external drive before you loose everything.

birdface 08:39 16 Sep 10

This from an old post.

click here

Maybe just make sure you have the latest version installed.
It may be nothing to do with that but best making sure you have the latest version.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 16 Sep 10

I think your profile became corrupt so it booted to a new profile i.e. as per new windows.

System restore took you back to before the profile became corrupt and so you were able to boot into your own profile.

john bunyan 18:34 16 Sep 10

I would get in the habit of using Acronis True Image or another back up programme to make regular images and / or clones of yout drives (on a separate HD - USB )So many folk do not have a regular back up programme - hope you are not one of them. System restore is not robust enough IMHO

Astrid 09:59 17 Sep 10

Thank you for all suggestions. I do have Acronis True Image and back up both to second drive and external drive. I agree, can't be too careful. Also, I've never been so grateful for system restore.

robin_x 22:19 17 Sep 10

Image AND a Boot CD/DVD in case of main HDD total failure and a new HDD.

===========
For anyone without Acronis:

Use EASEUS Todo Backup.
Or Seagate DiscWizard (if any of your drives are Seagate). It's an Acronis product.
Or Windows 7 Backup & Restore Center/Create system image.

All free. All make boot discs (you may or may not be prompted automatically and have to do that via another menu option)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos