What Grapics Card

FredAt 18:38 23 Dec 06

I will soon be buying a bare bones computer to replace my old notebook computer. I have no demanding graphics requirements - all I do is use applications such as Delphi, the MS Office Suite, Firefox etc. However, I do want to be able to drive a wide flat screen monitor (Acer AL1916W) at the best resolution possible so I can get to see as much of my code as possible and keep it readable without eyestrain.

What should I look for in a graphics card so I can achieve this? I would much appreciate any help.

Diodorus Siculus 18:57 23 Dec 06

Any modern graphics card should do what you want; the monitor will have a set resolution that you will have to stick with anyway.

Totally-braindead 21:58 23 Dec 06

Agree with Diodorus Siculus any modern graphics card would do that.

FredAt 06:37 24 Dec 06

The reason I asked the question is that I was never able to get the best performance when I hooked up the Acer AL1916W to my Acer 1710 super notebook. The latter only allowed me to set a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 while the external monitor has a resolution of 1440 x 1280. Are you saying that if I buy any bog standard desktop computer?

The machines I am considering have the GeoForce 6100 graphics chip with 256 Mb of memory or the or the ATI Radeon XPress 200 with 256 Mb of (Shared?) memory. Isn't the amount of graphics memory the key factor in deciding just how high the graphics resolution can be set?

While on the subject of memory, would it make much of a difference to the amount of disk churning I observe when I switch between applications? During a normal working day I tend to have a web browser or two, a web server, several instances of Delphi and a few programming utilities all open at the same time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…