What graphics card should I get?

Waterboy1999 00:44 06 Aug 07

I wish to upgrade my pc with a new graphics card, but I do not have a clue on what graphics card I should get or what graphics cards work on my PC. I wish to play games like Battlefield 2142 and games using the source engine (Counter strike). The budget I have to spend for this is around £100.

My PC Details
Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1.5GB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Number of Banks: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz Model 3, Stepping
CPU Speed: 2666 MHz
Operation system: Microsoft Windows XP home Edition(5.1, Build 2600)
System manufactures: Compaq Presario 061
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.66GHz

Sorry if I have not mentioned something important about my PC, If there is something you need to know what is not mentioned above please tell me.

Totally-braindead 00:58 06 Aug 07

7600GT or better will play the games you mention, do you know if it has a PCI Express X16 slot or an AGP slot and do you know what power supply it has - rated in watts - if you can open the case if its not anywhere else there will be a label on the power supply.
Graphics cards need a good stable and powerful power supply and most branded PCs do not come with a good rated power supply so depending on what you want you might need to replace the power supply as well.

Waterboy1999 01:58 06 Aug 07

This may be of some use Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. Grouper 1.xx, I used a program to find out what my motherboard is. I am sorry but I do not know any of the above. Also the only label I found said 230 volts next to the power supply. I am sorry for the lack of information.

Waterboy1999 17:20 06 Aug 07

I was able to take some pictures of the inside of the PC this may help you identify what slots I have. I also found a label identifying the power in watts.

Link

click here

Waterboy1999 18:26 06 Aug 07

Sorry that website was not very useful try this Link:

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=click here][IMG]click here[/IMG][/URL

umbongo(uk) 18:38 06 Aug 07

300 watt psu

you have 1 pci-e slot and 3 pci slots one of which is currenly being used

go for a 7600gt or 7600gs dont forget to get one with ddr3

the basic power requirments for these cards is 300watts
or go for the newer 8600gt slightly faster than a 7600gt but near enough the same price

again i will stress not all power supplies rated 300 watts will output 300watts bear this in mind
so buy a card then if you having issue,s with it it could be the psu
what to look for if psu is not feeding graphics card
game crashes,computer reboots while gaming
but you can pick a cheap 550 watt one up for around 15.00 by winpower
just replaced a friends with one and all tested fine
another alternative

if your spending upto #£100
go for a new power supply and card as you can use them in a future computer ,and it will give you piece of mind knowing the power supply will power a better card if you feel the need to upgrade again

just a couple of links to show what to look for

click here
click here

click here
click here

andrew-196854 18:42 06 Aug 07

try this program here click here install it then on the motherboard option click on that it will tell you your make and model of motherboard then look for expansion slots it will say agp or PCI Express X16

Waterboy1999 19:21 06 Aug 07

I wish to order my graphics card from play.com because I use its service a lot, could you pleas tell me if these are good choices for graphics cards.

click here

andrew-196854 19:33 06 Aug 07

i take it you know its a pci express one then??

GaT7 19:36 06 Aug 07

For your budget & if you have a PCI-E 16x slot, I'd go for the £68 8600GT umbongo suggested & this Antec 500W PSU click here for £30. G

Waterboy1999 19:47 06 Aug 07

Could you pleas tell me some of the games the 8600gt graphics card umbongo suggested would support? I am asking this because it will give me better picture of what it is capable of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac