What is going on with Windows xp???

jonpep 18:44 01 Jun 05

I tried to download Directx 9 from Microsoft Download Center, it downloaded it, then a dialog box came up saying.
"The software you are installing has not passed Windows logo testing to verify its compatability with Windows xp" The software will not be installed !!!!!

Why is this, after all its from microsoft.
I have not been brave enough to install Service Pack 2,does this have any bearing on it?

VoG II 18:52 01 Jun 05
  keithlik 19:07 01 Jun 05

As far as I know, Direct X (Version 9) is automatically installed as part of XP.
Try entering Help and type in "Direct X" in the box near the top left hand corner of the page.
Select the option which lists "Diagnose Direct X" and then say no to the first query. The Direct X diagnostic pages should come up, giving you the Version number and then go through the pages (using the tabs) and you will fing instructions for testing all the functions.

jonpep 19:28 01 Jun 05

Thanks for coming in on the problem, have done as you suggest and it states I am running directx8.
So that is not the answer, do you think not having service pack 2 has any bearing on it??

DieSse 19:49 01 Jun 05

"do you think not having service pack 2 has any bearing on it??"

I think you should read what MS have to say in the link that VoG™ gave you.

stalion 20:25 01 Jun 05

I downloaded directx version 9c a long time back on sp1 so sp2 has no connection with your problem

Stuartli 22:01 01 Jun 05

Open the DirectX Diagnostic Tool from System Information>Tools; in the General tab the version of DirectX installed is listed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…