What is the Gator Corporation

fullyfitted 21:09 29 Jun 03

Using MSCONFIG I followed the advice given to Eddimoose by Wak and in my start up folder I found a progamme called G M T,
Windows explorer showed that it is some 14.6 Mb in size and also has An other name ie GAIN. It is part of The Gator Corporation,
My query is :- What does it do, do I need It , Can I delete it ( it is'nt in "add and Remove programmes")so I assume it will be ok to delete in explorer if necwssary

Thanks in anticipation

Ironman556 21:14 29 Jun 03

It sounds like it could by ad-ware probably downloaded with a freeware program. To clear it use Ad-Aware from click here and click here

Ironman.

Ironman556 21:15 29 Jun 03

(Second link leads to Spybot S&D)

Rtus 21:22 29 Jun 03

you could look here for the listed .exe click here

bvw in bristol 21:27 29 Jun 03

Gator is a utility, sometimes derided as "spyware," that monitors a user's Web browsing activity and displays relevant advertisements.

Gator is one of the most aggressive companies peddling pop-ups--an Internet marketing technique that opens a browser window loaded with advertising over the top of, or underneath, an ordinary Web page.

Gator is very specific in monitoring Web browsing. For example, it carefully watches what people type into the Google search engine.............

click here

Gator is a nightmare, comes attached to free downloaded programmes. They basically sponsor downloads so you don't pay for them, but you then fight the battle of the pop-ups. and if you try to disable gator products you loose the ability to use the free programme. Imesh is a good example.

Just remember "Nothing is ever free"

innf+

muppetmark 21:33 29 Jun 03

Spybot will take care of it, you will need to look for 'trickler.exe' in your system too, gator uses this to download itself

fullyfitted 22:05 29 Jun 03

Wow, this looks scary!
Talk about big brother is watching over you
but many thanks for the help and advice
If I struggle I will be back

Jomi 23:45 29 Jun 03

allows the Gator software to download and install itself in small seperate pieces.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…