What Free anti virus software? AVG 8?

hawthorn59 14:12 07 May 08

Hi,

I need to get a free anti virus software for a friend. I myself have AVG 7.5 and its fine. But now I notice they're offering AVG 8 as the latest free download. Is it safe and reliable? I read a few issues about it.

He used to have Avast and I could get that, but it doesnt scan every day.

thanks

h

RobCharles1981 14:20 07 May 08

I did try AVG 8 as a trial I didn't like it, so I have reverted back to Avast does the job fine for me. The trouble with AVG 8 I found it has a conflict with Spyware Blaster.

Belatucadrus 14:58 07 May 08

A couple of things you can do to avast!
1) Go to Display properties / Screen saver and select avast!antivirus from the drop down menu, avast will now run a sequential scan whenever the PC is idle.
2) Set a scan using Windows scheduler using the instructions here click here

Pineman100 15:40 07 May 08

I downloaded/installed AVG Free 8.0 on a newly reformatted and reinstalled XP computer, a couple of days ago.

I've read several threads on this forum that indicate a few problems with version 8.0, but I haven't experienced these. Everything seems to be OK so far.

provider 2 15:56 07 May 08

I`m not sure of what you mean by saying Avast! doesn`t scan every day:

click here

You might want to check out "What`s new in version 4.8" also.

hawthorn59 18:34 07 May 08

OK i uninstalled McAfee for him, and installed Avast. however it hung for a while and perhaps wasnt installed perectly. Eventually it worked, but I couldnt help feeling things were running a bit slower. So I uninstalled it and installed AVG 7.5 for him. All seems to be ok now.

As regards daily scan, AVG scans my laptop every day....I thought I read that avast doesnt? Im not sure.

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…