What format to convert to?

tAtu*! 21:23 28 Oct 10

Hi everyone

I have a few video's and clips that are in an Xvid format on my PC. If I burn these files to DVD, its hit and miss if my DVD player will play them.

I have downloaded and installed Aura Video Convertor to try and change the format from Xvid. Can anyone tell me what format I should be converting them to? There is Mp4 mov, DivX, avi, DVD pal (mpeg)

I tried to convert to the DVD pal option but the 1 hour video I have, when coverted and burnt to disc only plays for 1min 26 sec??

Thanks in advance

jamesd1981 11:30 29 Oct 10

alot of players will play divx, but it depends on the codecs in the background, i have found nearly all dvd players will play avi, and alot also play mp4, i would try avi first if i were you, and for your conversions the best tool is any video converter 3.0.7, its totally free and ive never used it and video didnt play.

tAtu*! 12:09 29 Oct 10

Cheers guys

I decided to download Hamster free video converter. The quality of the conversion is ok.

The DVD player plays Mpeg and DivX. The problem I have the stuff I have is Xvid, and the player will play them now and again.

I guess I will just have to stick with Hamster or possibly buy a cheap DVD player that supports Xvid, unless anyone else has any ideas?

jamesd1981 14:32 29 Oct 10

what dont you post the make n model of your dvd player, and we can have a look at spec ?

tAtu*! 20:25 29 Oct 10

They are:

LG HT-321

LG LHT250

+ a cheap Pacific (Asda branded) DVD

Thanks

jamesd1981 22:58 29 Oct 10

your pacific and the lg ht-321, dont seem to support divx.

your lg lht250 has the widest format range, what id try is download any video converter, and convert the same file to avi and mp4, check the video codec is either xvid or divx, and im sure one of them will work prob the avi, once you know which one just keep a note of it for future.

robin_x 01:09 30 Oct 10

A standard video format on a DVD would be a VIDEO_TS folder containing .ifo (index) and .vob files wouldn't it?

click here

DVD Flick does that. Also (30 day trial) Womble
click here

And many other authoring programs. Try with short clips (3-5 mins). Authoring can take bloody ages.

Practice with DVD-RW to avoid coasters. Burn to DVD-R when happy with result.

For all things video, see click here
Wrong aspect ratios or no sound or whatever are too easy.

robin_x 01:14 30 Oct 10

Note: a properly done Video(_TS) format set of files takes up more space than avi or mp4, but it is guaranteed to work on ANY DVD player. Old or cheap and cheerful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…