What fixes can I do on XP with HD as a slave ?

setecio 22:31 02 May 08

XP freezes at login screen and also in safe mode ... no way in.

If I take out the hard drive and connect it to another XP machine as a slave drive, what fixes can I run on it from there ... eg how do I run sfc /scannow on a slave drive, chkdsk d: , fixmbr, .... etc ....

Thanks.

woodchip 22:37 02 May 08

Most You may do is get your files off, then fit the drive back in your PC to Run XP cd to do a Repair

woodchip 22:39 02 May 08

PS check disc will work on the drive as a Slave, but I think you most likely have a driver problem

skidzy 22:42 02 May 08

If freezing in safemode,i would say you have a hardware fault somewhere.

Remove all usb devices and try the system again setecio.

Give the computer a good clean if needed,take the case off and remove all dust and residue if this applies.

Several things we can try to eliminate the problem.

setecio 07:44 03 May 08

Thanks. Yea I'm going to try a Linux live CD first, on the basis that if it loads up OK then that should rule out a hardware problem.

skidzy 08:16 03 May 08

If you are going to try a Live Distro,i would recommend PCLinuxOS 2007-though thats from my limited knowledge with Linux.
You may find this interesting,some good tips and pointers if needed click here
bit of a read,but worth it in my opinion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…