What Firewall ?

carryduff 11:02 19 Jan 07

Why do I need a seperate firewall when there is already a firewall program on my windows XP. Is the Microsoft one not good enough ?

VoG II 11:10 19 Jan 07

The Microsoft one is inbound only. It won't stop trojans or keyloggers from 'phoning home'.

click here

bof:) 17:08 27 Jan 07

try free version of zone alarm. its free to home users

click here

this protects you both ways, both incoming to your pc and outgoing to the internet.

When you install it, it should automatically turn the windowsXP firewall off. Remember to reboot your pc fter installing it.

Mike

madaboutplants 18:53 27 Jan 07

Hi bof:).I have Norton firewall. is this ok or should I install a separate one you have suggested?
I also have windows xp but did not know it has a firewall prog,where do I find this?

bof:) 19:08 27 Jan 07

nortons is fine, it should disable the windowsXP firewall when its (Nortons) installed. So you should be ok.

Is the firewall part of Nortons antivirus program? If not please make sure you have some form of antivirus program installed asap.

Free antivirus programs

click here

click here

If you do not have an antivirus program I suggest you download and install one of the above. (You need only to run 1 of them...installing 2 or more antivirus programes can crash your computer).

Many recommend other free programs such as adaware that get rid of spyware (slightly different to virus)

click here

this can be run on your pc along with virus checker, but not at the same time.

Which ever one you choose please remember to update them on a regular basis and set them to scan all files.

Mike

madaboutplants 02:34 28 Jan 07

when I open Norton Internet Security, there is an item called Personal Firewall with a check against. i assume this is a firewall. wheteher it works both ways or only one way I do not know. i have down loaded AVG antivirus prog and will run it tonite.

bof:) 18:28 28 Jan 07

make sure you uninstall Nortons antivirus program if you have it first. As I mentioned earlier its unadvisable to have 2 or more antivirus programs running on your pc at the same time.

madaboutplants 23:50 28 Jan 07

bof:) thanks. yes i learned this the hard way a little while ago.

squillary 03:35 29 Jan 07

For gawd's sake if you're keeping the firewall part of Norton Internet Security don't uninstall the Antivirus part to put AVG in, even if you happen to believe the rubbish you hear about it. There'll be no additional resource penalty for keeping the integrated software compared to using AVG and you've already paid for it anyway.

In any case, when you go to the independent AV testing sites like click here or click here there isn't any level on which AVG is anywhere near as good or as complete a product. There may be marginally better AVs (all paid-for product) but AVG doesn't come close by any objective measure.

Also, according to click here and click here Norton Internet Security is also one of the top-performing incoming and outgoing firewalls. On the first firewall link, note the performance of both the Windows firewall (0/27) and Zonealarm free version (4/27). On that measure, both are objectively tested to be worse than useless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac