What Is This File?

Macaonasa 19:58 17 Jul 03

I've found a file called ~ in my C:\ directory. Any ideas what it is?

graham√ 20:28 17 Jul 03

It's mine! I've been looking for that!

Macaonasa 20:30 17 Jul 03

Where do you want me to send it to?

graham√ 20:41 17 Jul 03

Sorry, couldn't resist that.In the registry, if you 'ctrl F' and insert ~ , there's a lot of them. Computer script I would imagine.

VoG II 21:10 17 Jul 03

Several people have reporting finding ~ on the desktop (it took me a while to find it on my keyboard!). Apparently something to do with Outlook Express.

wee eddie 21:12 17 Jul 03

If you crash - Open programs leave them.

If you reply to an e-mail in XP/IE6 (something to do with one update or other) it leaves one on the desktop.

Macaonasa 21:33 17 Jul 03

Found this via the Dell Forum:

---That (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is supposedly working on a fix. Many people are experiencing this problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail. You can either just put up with it or follow the uninstall directions for the patch at the link below. click here

john-232317 21:47 17 Jul 03

If you change the text in a file ,say in Word, then click save as you will see a copy of the file beginning with the squiggle "sorry spanish keyboard cant find the key" which changes to the new file when saved....john

Macaonasa 23:10 17 Jul 03

The Word doc is a temporary one which Word uses for undoes. I'm sure the Dell explanation is it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…