What exactly does a card reader do?

TommyRed 22:10 02 Nov 03

It has been suggested that someone buys me a card reader for my Fuji digicam, for Christmas. I'm not 100% sure I know what one does and if it'll be of any worth. A quick list of benefits would be nice. Thanks TR

Diodorus Siculus 22:14 02 Nov 03

You can plug the card reader into your pc and copy the data that way, rather than plugging the camera into the pc. Usually the card readers are attached to the USB port of the pc. It is fast and easy.

powerless 22:14 02 Nov 03

A card reader......Reads a card ;-))

It's just makes it easier, just pop the card out of the camera and into the card reader. No need to connect up a USB/firewire lead to and from the camera each time you want the images on the computer.

You can see the the card in windows and copy pictures etc.

But always format the card in the camera.

Many card readers, that have about all kinds of card slots that you shove in.

SGT BARNES 22:26 02 Nov 03

i've got a HP Photosmart 1215 printer thats got a few card slots in the side , when you put the card in it reads em and prints them out .

shame i use sd cards and thats about the only slot it hasn't got :(

Jack D 22:35 02 Nov 03

Another one ticked without comment.

britto 22:36 02 Nov 03

check the card type your camera uses,some fuji's have xd cards and not all multicard readers support these,but they are available.

spuds 22:49 02 Nov 03

Check on the slots available.The more the merrier, should you need them.Single slot devices are not cost saving.

I have a PNY card reader, which I use via a powered USB 4 port hub.The reader would not work when fitted as a direct connection to the computer base socket. PNY technical stated that the device must go into self powered hub, so watch for this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…