What Ethernet Port Do I Get

Millers 23:35 24 Nov 04

I have just purchased a wireless home networking router and USB recievers, but now I am told that I still need an Ethernet port. My sons PC has one so thats not a problem but mine hasnt. What do I buy??

Technotiger 23:48 24 Nov 04

Hi, I just this week, added a pci Ethernet Card
to my setup. It is a Dynamode NC-100TX-R, cost £5.95, using it now to run my new Billion Ethernet ADSL Modem. Very pleased with it. Has capability to network up to 8 pc's.

Belatucadrus 00:23 25 Nov 04
  Technotiger 00:45 25 Nov 04

Yep, that's the one; the shop where I bought mine is almost next-door, could have got it cheaper on-line but I do not have bank card or bank account.

Rioja 11:25 25 Nov 04

why do you need to buy another ethernet card?

Normally you only need to connect by wired connection to perform the initial setup of the router and this could be done from your son's pc.
Once initial setup is complete all pc's can be totally wireless with the router located anywhere convenient.

Reading your thread, you appear to already have everything you need.

Rioja 20:43 25 Nov 04

I received your e-mail:

"Thanks for your message, I am a novice. how can I set up a wireless conection with only one PC with an Ethernet card, does the other PC need to have a card as well??"

What I mean is to use the pc with ethernet card (son's) to configure the router/modem with your isp logon details and then to manage the router while you set up the first wireless connected pc (your's). Once your pc is working to the router wirelessly, then you can disconnect the wired connection between router and son's pc and replace it with wireless.

ps. It's best to keep comments and questions within the thread so that others may benefit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…