What else can I fit into my 3.5" floppy drive bay?

Shortstop 12:10 20 Jun 07

Hi,

Looking at tidying up my PC [again!]. I have 2 @ 80Gb drives, DVD-RW drive & DVD drive as well as a 3.5 " multi-card reader with USB fitted already. Running XP Home.

I have a 3.5" floppy drive in a front bay that I have never used. I am considering removing this but I have lost the blanking plates, so would have to fit another unit there.

My question is, what else could I install there? I have no more free USB headers on the motherboard so if I could use the [redundant] floppy drive plug, this would be a bonus. Alternatively, can I buy a blanking plate for this non-standard tower case that I purchased?

TIA

Paul-

pj123 17:37 20 Jun 07

Unfortunately, nothing. Suggest you leave the floppy drive installed.

Alternatively, you could buy another case that does not have floppy drive connections and transfer all your innards to it.

A lot of computers these days come without Floppies, so there must be some cases around that don't have floppy bays.

jimv7 18:26 20 Jun 07
  Shortstop 18:48 20 Jun 07

pj123 - I was thinking that may be the case [no pun intended!]. It's just that I have a thing about if I don't use it - and see no time that I would need it - remove it!

jimv - the first item is the one I already have installed, and I can't use the second as all my USB headers on my M/B are used :o(

What about a blanking plate for the 3.5" bay - can these be purchased?

BR

Paul

jimv7 18:55 20 Jun 07

Most computer shops have loads of blanking plates spare.

Shortstop 19:20 20 Jun 07

It's always the simple things you forget :o)

That's a great idea - I'll have a word with my local friendly PC shop!

Ticked as resolved.

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…