What is ECC/Parity?

ivesy 19:13 30 Dec 04

I've just bought 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM to go with my PC's 512MB which is made up of 2X256MB chips I've ran SISoft SANDRA it says something about ECC/Parity? Does anyone have any ideas what that means? I hope I haven't bought the wrong type of memory as I even took the motherboard manual to PC World to make sure I got the correct memory!

whybe 19:21 30 Dec 04

This may help it comes from the Crucial website click here

Totally-braindead 19:28 30 Dec 04

If you are unsure of what memory you needed check Crucial again click here just put in the make and model of your PC and it'll tell you what you should have got. Incidently if you've already put it in and its working fine you've probably got the right memory anyway.

Technotiger 19:40 30 Dec 04

Hi, ECC = Error Checking & Correction. Parity Memory supported by some older system boards. Nine-bit memory in which the 9th bit is used for Memory Checking.

Non-Parity Memory, slightly less expensive 8-bit memory without error checking.

Must admit doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. Cheers. Basically - Parity is better than Non-Parity.

Shanks69 00:59 31 Dec 04

you can mix ecc memory with non ecc memory, but the memory as a whole becomes non ecc (but will it make any real noticeable difference? my guess is no)

toni b 14:36 31 Dec 04
  ivesy 17:10 31 Dec 04

Thanks for putting my mind at rest! The memory I have is exactly the same type as the installed memory except it's 'non parity' but if it wont make much difference then I'm happy with that!
Thanks again and all the best to everyone for 2005!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…