What on earth should I buy?

cheddar-caveman 15:55 19 Mar 10

I am looking to repleace my Compaq Presario bought in 2003. It's starting to crash regularly and files seem to go "missing".

At 70+ I don't want a super fast gaming machine with all the latest gizmos!

It will be used by my wife and I for general household type activity such as letter writing, internet shopping, facebook and skype.

My wife is well into music so it needs a decent sound system with external speakers?(we have some but they are very small and tinny)

I am a keen amateur digital photographer so I will be processing some quite large digital files, mainly .jpg's.

I've looked at the Advent PTG9003W7, the Packard Bell iMedia A2521uk and after a long session on the phone with Dell, they came up with the Inspiron Desktop 560 MT.

All these are around the same price - £350ish and I guess my budget is £400.

Help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

hssutton 16:00 19 Mar 10

I keep looking at this one at Ebuyer. I would use it for photography when in the "field"

hssutton 16:00 19 Mar 10

I keep looking at this one at Ebuyer. I would use it for photography when in the "field"

MAJ 17:10 19 Mar 10

The Dell looks good and will do what you need. The Packard Bell has the cheaper Celeron processor. The Advent doesn't come with a monitor.

Hudson 20:47 19 Mar 10

Can't help with choosing a PC but your Compaq's symptoms sound alarming. Suggest you back up your data without delay - the hard drive may be failing.

Paddylad 21:00 19 Mar 10

Well said,Hudson!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…