What on earth is Navcand?

SB23 16:13 22 Sep 08

Everyday since last week I have been getting, very briefly, a download popup asking whether I want to download something called Navcand.
Before I can get a good look, and before I get a chance to say whether to save or run the program it minimizes, after which all I can do is either close or move it.
I've Googled, and it appears to relate to IE7, which I'm not running, and a MS update KB931768.

What do I do?

Its really getting on my nerves now.

Thanks

Steve

Picklefactory 16:24 22 Sep 08

I think it's something to do with Windows update. Have you updated recently?
If so, try uninstalling last update.

Picklefactory 16:25 22 Sep 08

If you Google for it, you'll find you aren't the first person to have this issue, but I haven't found any reference to it on MS support site.

Technotiger 16:30 22 Sep 08

Try a System Restore back to before the so-called update occurred.

SB23 19:19 22 Sep 08

Don't really want to restore as it never normally works, and has in the past caused more problems than it usually fixes. Never did understand that, lol!

SB23 17:40 24 Sep 08

I've been Googling for a few days now, and have eventually found a "fix" from MS themselves.

Problem is it involves C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings, and I can't locate it, can anyone help point me in the correct direction?

Thanks

Steve

woodchip 17:47 24 Sep 08

Sounds like you are trying to find it by double click MY Compute. Not a good way to Navigate Files.

Press Win Key + E Key This will start Windows Explorer if My Computer or C:\ is not Expanded click the + at the side of it. You will then find what you are looking for under C:\

SB23 17:51 24 Sep 08

As I'm running XP it says,

1. Click Start, click Run, type inetcpl.cpl, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Settings in the Browsing History area.
3. Click Move Folder.
4. In the Please select a folder to which you can add items navigation pane, locate the following folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings
5. Click OK, click Apply, and then click OK.

I follow this but cannot locate the folder I need.
(I feel a headache coming on, lol!)

woodchip 17:59 24 Sep 08

Ok I have just done a image of My XP Partition, So take no note of the D:\ at the top yours will be C:\. This is where you will find it if you follow my first post on how to search for it click on the Link [IMG]click here[/IMG]

Technotiger 18:03 24 Sep 08

Click on My Computer and then on your C: drive icon.
Then type in Documents etc after the C:\ in the address bar. Username is whatever name you use on your PC and you should see this. Having got to username just type in \Local Settings and press Return - even if you cannot see Local Settings as such.

SB23 19:19 24 Sep 08

I think I've done it thanks to you both.

Windows asked to log off after I'd moved the folder, I then rebooted to be sure, lol!

Either way, the folder has moved or seemed to, and the message has stopped and the pc is still working.

Thanks

Steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…