What DVD R's should I buy?

joethebow 22:50 15 Sep 04

Just bought a Sony DVD Burner from Macro. It says it will work at 8 Speed with both -R & +R Discs and at 4 speed with RW's.

I've had a look on Ebay and there appears to be a multitude of Discs at various prices from around 25p each. The only difference I can see in these is that they are either white, orange, red or yellow but I'm sure there is more to it than the colour of the disc.

Do you have any advice on what discs I should buy and in particular which discs I should stear clear off. Don't want to buy 100 Discs and find they don't work.

stalion 23:02 15 Sep 04

older dvd players are geared to dvd+r while recent players will play all.I believe dvd-r are used more for data and dvd+r for movies.
wait for more opinions ok

dfghjkl 23:21 15 Sep 04

from my expirience,most new household dvd players will play + and -,but older ones prefere - (mine included,approx 2 years old)
i have both i use - for films and + for data.
you can pay up to £2 a disc in the shops,but you can get them for £1 a disc if you shop around,the discs are a lot cheaper online.

dfghjkl 23:21 15 Sep 04

from my expirience,most new household dvd players will play + and -,but older ones prefere - (mine included,approx 2 years old)
i have both i use - for films and + for data.
you can pay up to £2 a disc in the shops,but you can get them for £1 a disc if you shop around,the discs are a lot cheaper online.

terryr48 23:26 15 Sep 04

Morrisons have maxell dvd's 5 pack + &- buy one get one free £9.99 also RW 3pack same offer and price

dazzling 10:29 16 Sep 04

i have a sony dvd burner.they can be a bit picky over media.the above maxell disks work but if you want them cheaper go online svp communications sell -r disks £6.49 for 25 they are datawrite branded yellow disks 4 speed and use the ritek g 04 dye.ive never had a problem with ritek disks on the sony but some it wont burn.if you buy ritek you shuld be ok they do 8 speed aswell which is the g05 dye.check the disc info on site because many brands use the ritek dye including datasafe ridisc datawrite.darren

joethebow 20:59 16 Sep 04

Thanks guys, I've ordered a spindle of 25 Datawrites from SVP, should be here within 2 days, probably before I have installed the DVD Writer. I also ordered a storage box for 240 Discs, including postage the total was £16.10, a bargan I feel.

Once again lads, thanks for the help and advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…