what DVD format

richierich 16:51 10 Sep 03

I know this has often been talked about but I would like the latest opinions.
I want to burn video DVDs for distribution in various home players-not PC players.
Is it DVD- or DVD+ I should use. Many burners do both but I need maximum compatability.
Thanks in advance.

stlucia 17:07 10 Sep 03

Within my limited circle, I have had no problems with DVD- on home video machines. So I use them because they're cheaper.

But I beleive that DVD+ is compatible with more domestic machines, and is becoming more prevalent. Because of that the prices of disks are coming down.

If you really want to go for a single standard burner I would suggest DVD+. But prices of dual standard burners have also come down, so why not hedge your bets if you can afford it?

richierich 17:11 10 Sep 03

How long does it usually take to burn an hours worth of dvd video, also whats the max length you can burn on one disk.

Chegs ® 17:16 10 Sep 03

It depends on the media I'm using,but anything from 15 mins(approx) to over an hour(4.4GBs of files onto DVD-RW)An hours worth of DVD can be burnt(at Max Speeds)in approx 15-20 mins.

The Sack 18:03 10 Sep 03

I have yet to find a machine that +R will not work on. A 4.7 GB DVD+R (2 hour) burns the full disc in 24 minutes including lead in and out and a 4X one does it in 14 or 15 minutes. It is best to go by how long a full disc takes to burn because you might encode 1 hour of video that fills the disc or you might encode it to fill only half of it, it depends on the bitrates used.

Even if you re-encode to fit 3 hours on a disc there is not really any drop in quality and it will stall take 24 minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…