What DVD burner?

Sheila-214876 15:36 22 Jan 04

I am now in the market for a DVD burner. From my research I had gone for the LG 4040 which seems to be multi function. Have just read a thread which seems to imply that there is a problem (no burning software). My second choice was a Pioneer DVR-106, which also seems to be multi function except for “RAM”. I use Dealtime at click here to search for price comparisons and DABS seems to be the best price for this unit, and also has it in stock. The spec sheet again gives no indication whether it comes with the software to be able to use it to it’s fullest capacity. OK, check out DABS website and hit the “contact us” button and ask them. But, no contact numbers only links to different departments. Looking at General Enquiries it says “we are unable to offer direct product advice” amongst other conditions. Product Information also says the same thing, “we are unable to offer direct product advice”. All I want to know is does the Pioneer DVR-106 come with all the software to be able to burn a DVD? My intention is to get a lot of Betamax video tapes on to DVD instead of transferring them to VHS. Thanks.

Al94 15:44 22 Jan 04

you do a search on this forum re Dabs and you will see the difficulties in dealing with them. They basically only want to know you if you know what you want to buy and go for it. Then you pray that what you've bought doesn't suffer any problems coz they won't want to know again! Many drives don't come with decent software, I recommend Nero 6 for your purpose. I use this with an Optorite dual format writer (made by Sony) from PCW now down to £89.99 click here ant it performs faultlessly.

scotty 15:53 22 Jan 04

LG4040B can be purchased in two forms, retail and OEM. The retail version comes with software, some fixings and a DVD-RAM disc. The only problems I have seen reported (other than resulting from lack of familiarity with the kit) relate to the ability to read certain makes of disc. I think this is a common difficulty with DVD writers.

It is worth considering the 4040 as you will get DVD-RAM capability (ideal for data back-up) and one of the quietest drives around.

Sheila-214876 16:04 22 Jan 04

scotty. Yes the "ram" bit is what attracted it to me in the first place, but the price was very high when I first saw it. It is now down to about £87 but is that the retail or oem version, it doesn't say?

SEASHANTY 16:07 22 Jan 04

Some reviews DVD burners on Toms Hardware Guide
click here

scotty 16:17 22 Jan 04

For some reason the retail version is currently cheaper than the OEM version at E-buyer!

Sheila-214876 16:42 22 Jan 04

SEASHANTY. Thanks, checking it now.

SEASHANTY 16:46 22 Jan 04

The LG 4040 OEM £82-25 and retail £91-65 both inclusive of vat at Microdirect click here

SEASHANTY 17:02 22 Jan 04

The ebuyer.com price of the LG retail is £91.00 the price of £77-44 in the "LG popular products" page is the price ex vat. Typing LG GSA4040B in the search box brings up the correct price.

scotty 17:11 22 Jan 04

SEASHANTY

That's correct - £91 for the retail.

BUT the OEM price is £92.97!!!

(Search for LG 4040 brings up both)

tafoody 17:41 22 Jan 04

i notice the new 8x LG-4081, is the same price as the 4x LG-4040 at ebuyer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…