What is DSO Exploit?

mthead 13:40 16 May 04

Hello All,
Spybot S&D always detects DSO Exploit on my system but can not get rid of it. What is it, should I be concerned?

sil_ver 13:45 16 May 04

This any help? click here;action=display;num=1082096807

sil_ver 13:48 16 May 04

Oops! the link hasn't sent you to the right page but if you type "dso exploit" (complete with quotes)into google there are a number of answers

bretsky 13:50 16 May 04

This may help you click here

bretsky ;0)

radi8or 13:58 16 May 04

mthead,

Try this click here

Regards Bob

Zak 14:01 16 May 04

This is what I have installed on my Win98se box:

click here

Works a treat.

mthead 15:13 16 May 04

Downloaded and ran DSOstop2, still got same problem except that Spybot now reports 4 problems and not 5. It can not remove the remaining 4.

Is DSO Exploit always malware, or could it be innocent?

dagwoood 16:00 16 May 04

Mthead, I had DSO exploit items after running spybot, it recognized that my registry had changed. The thing is, spybot has picked up registry changes that were done by downloading windows security updates and these updates were to stop DSO exploits from happening.

Don't know whether this pertains to your problem but if you are not all updated with regards to windows security updates you could get DSO exploit showing when you run spybot. But, as in my case, if spybot is configured to show registry changes, it will find DSO exploit items if you've downloaded security updates/service packs because these do create registry changes.

Hope this helps, dagwoood.

mthead 22:23 16 May 04

Thanks dagwood...what you say makes sense. I'm fully up to date with security patches/service packs etc.,
Guess Spybot is picking up changes made to registry by updates, as I'm not really having any problems.
Thanks for taking the time to help!
mthead.

dagwoood 02:05 17 May 04

Mthead, glad I could help. When I came across DSO exploit after running spybot, I did some searches as to what it was.

From what I could gather, in basic terms, it was found to be possible to exploit a "back door" on systems using windows that allowed unauthorized people to gain access to a system that used internet explorer/outlook express. This bug was know about 2 years ago and since then Microsoft created a security patch to stop people exploiting this "back door" on windows systems.

If you want a detailed explanation:
click here

As you've said, your fully up to date with your windows critical updates, so spybot is picking up the changes made to your registry by installing the update.

dagwoood.

mthead 03:23 17 May 04

Thanks again dagwood.....CHEERS MATE!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…