What does " Wipe Unused Space" mean?

mark mcc 10:18 15 May 06

I have a program calles R-Wipe&Clean and it has a feature called Wipe Unused Space and i would like if you told me what is does and what is it's purpose.

Thank-You
Mark

rawprawn 10:25 15 May 06

It will "Wipe" or overwrite any space on your hard drive that is not being used by programs/files on your computer. It is usually used to prevent recovery of deleted files. Be care full some programs will "Kill" all your restore points.

mark mcc 10:29 15 May 06

Thanks { rawprawn }
Mark

Hertz Van Rentyl 10:29 15 May 06

Your unused space probably has been used in the past and information on your drive can be extracted with the right software. I presume this is some kind of security programme that will overwrite any info not currently in use with meaningless babble. Most of these programmes are fairly useless to a lot of security snoopers, however unless you have the details of the US government on your drive it is unlikely that your info will be retrieved.

mark mcc 10:32 15 May 06

Thanks { Hertz Van Rentyl }

So theirs no point in using it then.

Mark

Diemmess 11:00 15 May 06

If you are disposing of that HD then the advice you have had is sound.

The thought crossed my mind that wiping used space implies a tidiness and a more efficient file system?.... but this is already well covered with an occasional Defragmenting of any HDs you are using.

realist 11:38 15 May 06

I have East-Tec Eraser for this purpose. It perfectly ensures your offline and online privacy and at the same time preserves all restore points. Best thing is when the time comes to dispose of your pc (and you want to hand it down to someone else) you can get it cleaned beyond recovery without having to destroy the operating system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…