What does upgrading your graphics card driver do?

puddylump 19:54 31 Aug 10

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, what does upgrading your GPU drivers actually do? Does it affect the way your games are played? For example, Dragon Age: Origins needs NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB or greater to run effectively. I have GeForce 7100 / nForce 630i. Now, someone said that by upgrading my DRIVERS, that it would run fine as I meet all other requirements. (See this forum thread click here)
So if I upgraded to the specs required or above, would the game run fine?
And how big of a risk is it upgrading my drivers?

Thanks.

MAT ALAN 20:16 31 Aug 10

You may already have the latest drivers for your chosen card, upgrading your drivers for a card thats already under spec is pointless..

If you want to run the game at high end res. you will need a card as you say a 7600GT or better, there are other things to consider, do you have enough memory and will your PSU accomodate a more resource hungry VGA card...

Question... do you already own the game...

AL47 20:17 31 Aug 10

upgrading drivers will gain you a few fps dependant on how good your originals are.

MAT ALAN 20:18 31 Aug 10

* CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz Processor or equivalent
* RAM: 4 GB (Vista) or 2 GB (XP)
* Video: ATI 3850 512 MB or greater
* NVIDIA 8800GTS 512 MB or greater
* DVD ROM (Physical copy)
* 20 GB HD space

These are the reccomended requirements and as you can see it's a game of high demands...

puddylump 20:19 31 Aug 10

No I do not own the game, I just really want to play it. So upgrading the drivers to this game is hopeless?

Would I at least be able to play at low res?

MAT ALAN 20:33 31 Aug 10

puddylump, it's a toughy my friend, if you commit to buy the game (£12.00 on amazon) the game play may run but i fear the video will be scratchy...

puddylump 20:36 31 Aug 10

Thanks for your help, also, if it's not too much trouble, how well would the following games run with my video card?:

-Battlefield Bad company 2
-Devil May Cry 4
-CoD: World at War

(I meet the minimum requirements for all of those apart from video card)

Thank you.

Strawballs 22:56 31 Aug 10

Sounds to me like a graphics upgrade is in order as long as your main board will take it

raziel08 07:28 01 Sep 10

You don't state what the specs are for the rest of your system however i myself have DMC4 and it runs fairly smoothly on the following specs

Windows Vista
Intel core 2 duo 2GHz
2 GB DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 8600m with 1GB of video RAM

However the frame rates barely hit over 20 when running the games built in system tester.

The videos are smooth however when moving in a large environment with lots of enemies the gameplay slows down a bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac