What does trojan horse 1st do?

Newuser4051 19:32 26 May 03

On start-up my virus checker said I had this virus, and the affected files were C:\ WINDOWS\1STSVC.EXE and PROGRAM FILES\1STBAR\1STSVC.EXE. These files have been 'healed' but I am wondering where the virus came from as I had not opened any dubious emails or downloaded anything unusual, and I want to be on my guard against being hacked etc.
John

powerless 19:39 26 May 03

click here

"Trojan Horses are impostors--files that claim to be something desirable but, in fact, are malicious. A very important distinction between Trojan horse programs and true viruses is that they do not replicate themselves. Trojans contain malicious code that when triggered cause loss, or even theft, of data. For a Trojan horse to spread, you must, invite these programs onto your computers--for example, by opening an
email attachment or downloading and running a file from the Internet. The PWSteal.Trojan is a Trojan."

Not sure then how you could have got it. Are you sure it was a Trojan. Also virii can be on floppy dsic etc...

Newuser4051 21:27 26 May 03

Many thanks. What would the files I listed possibly be attacking, please? Could they take over the dial-up connection for example?
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…