what does tr and tf mean with lcd monitors?

fsssh 16:53 16 Jan 03
  fsssh 16:53 16 Jan 03

does anyone know what tr and tf mean in the response times of an lcd monitor? a CTX screen says 'Response TimeTr: 13ms / Tf: 27ms , Typical'
whats this about?

Gongoozler 17:04 16 Jan 03

fsssh, The terms are used to describe the pulse shape of a digital signal. Tr of 13mS tells you that the pulse will rise from the zero level to full logic 1 in 13 milliseconds. Tf of 27ms tells you that after being at logic 1, it will take 27mS to fall back to logic 0. Tr = rise time. Tf = fall time. In this case the rise and fall times are describing the time to transition between black screen and white screen. Add the two figures together to give 40mS, and this is the fastest time in which the screen can be addressed properly, any faster than this the screen will not be able to make the complete transition between the two states.

fsssh 17:09 16 Jan 03

cheers gongoozler. do you happen to know what the typical values are for these types of monitors? most seem to be about 40ms but i was advised that for games i should look for something a little faster, like 25ms. do you know how fast they can be or are they pretty much all aound 40ms at the mo?

Gongoozler 17:44 16 Jan 03

fsssh, sorry, I don't know the typical values for a monitor. The faster they are, the faster the screen content can change without losing picture fidelity.

BrianW 17:54 16 Jan 03

There are some faster screen around, the new Hercules are (I think 25ms but maybe 30) best thing is to read up on some reviews then check on the manufactures sites

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…