What does reformatting a hard drive mean?

cass27 11:01 08 Mar 03

Can someone tell me what reformatting a Hard drive actually does. For instance what will it erase? Will it erase the files for running the computer? How is a hard drive reformatted?

Thanks

Totally-braindead 11:04 08 Mar 03

Its done through DOS, basically it blanks the hard drive prior to reinstalling all you software including your operating system. Do not attempt this if you don't know what you're doing.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:07 08 Mar 03

This explains some click here

Belatucadrus 11:28 08 Mar 03

click here is a direct link to an Acrobat pdf download of an article on how to reformat, should explain things clearly.
Reformating is the ultimate spring clean/problem solver, it's quite daunting at first, very time consuming and needs a certain amount of planning ahead. You will need to back up any data you want to retain, ensure you have your windows disk and license, plus all device drivers as well as program disks for the software you want to put back. It's likely to take a couple of hours to do, but I've always found the result a profound improvement in speed and stability.

howard60 11:31 08 Mar 03

you will probably have to re-activate the prog after formatting and putting xp back on.

cass27 17:32 08 Mar 03

thanks for your solutions - it does look a biit awesome.... so I maybe back

Cass27

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…