What does this noise mean?

Pineman100 10:39 14 Apr 09

My XP Home desktop computer had been running for about an hour, this morning, when it suddenly started to emit a continuous, non-stop beeeeeeep from inside the main cabinet. I wasn't doing anything on it at the time, and it was just sitting at the desktop.

I tried to shut it down normally, but nothing that I clicked worked. I therefore shut down with the main power button.

I've now restarted and everything seems normal - no beeping noise.

Any ideas as to what caused this please?

Belatucadrus 10:51 14 Apr 09

Some PCs have a CPU fan alarm that goes off if it stops revolving.

Pineman100 11:26 14 Apr 09

Thanks for that, Belatucadrus. I'll keep an eye on the fan. I had the side panel off the computer over the weekend to clean out the CPU fan, duct and heatsink.

Fortunately I can see it through a grille on the side of the computer.

It's working fine now, so I can't imagine why it would suddenly have stopped.

woodchip 11:37 14 Apr 09

Overheating Alarm

Pineman100 11:44 14 Apr 09

Thanks woodchip. Do you think that confirms what Belatucadrus said about the CPU fan?

Any idea what could have caused the fan to stop, if it's working OK now?

woodchip 12:19 14 Apr 09

Most likely, Have you tried remove Heatsing clean CPU and put some clean heatsink pst on. Also check in BIOS at what temp the alarm is set to trigger, under Health may be

DieSse 15:17 14 Apr 09

Also, a PSU voltage straying outside it's specification can produce the same or similar sound.

laurie53 18:18 14 Apr 09

Last time I was "at" the inside of mine I must have disturbed a lead by about a millimetre, and it fouled the CPU fan.

Luckily the lack of noise alerted me to it before any harm was done but you might want to check that all is well clear. It might not foul until well and truly warm.

Pineman100 18:20 14 Apr 09

Thanks to you both.

woodchip - when I cleaned the heatsink, I didn't take it off the CPU die - just removed the fan, vacuumed out the dust from between the fins, then put the fan back on. Do you think I should still take it off and apply new paste?

DieSse - what might cause such a voltage fluctuation, please?

Curiously, the computer's been on all day, without any repeat of the noise.

gazzaho 18:34 14 Apr 09

One continuous beep on IBM BIOS indicates Power supply, system board, or keyboard problems. If it's a one of occurance it might not be a concern but if it repeatedly occurs then the first thing I would suspect would be a faulty PSU, these can get clogged up with dust over time and fail.

Pineman100 19:16 14 Apr 09

Many thanks for that, gazzaho.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…