What does this mean?

rickf 23:04 08 Jun 04

Friend of mine uninstalled Norton because it was slowing his comp down to a halt. After uninstalling, he now gets an error message saying:C:/windows.image.dll

Image not found.
However, when he clicks ok the comp proceeds to boot into win xp normally. Should he be concerned as I am not familiar with this error. Thanks.BTW, he now uses Panda anti-virus if that helps.

rickf 23:08 08 Jun 04

^^^

VoG II 23:09 08 Jun 04

Start, Run, type in

msconfig

and click OK.

On the Startup tab look for

C:/windows.image.dll

and untick it. Click OK and restart

rickf 23:13 08 Jun 04

Thanks Vog. That's what I thought of telling him but wasn't sure if its an essential fine or not to untick.

GaT7 23:37 08 Jun 04

This problem is probably caused by spyware.

<<CoolWebSearch.image is another CoolWebSearch variant with unknown purpose. A sign of partial infection is the message "cannot find C:\WINDOWS\image.dll">> Source: click here.

VoG's suggestion may stop the problem from recurring but you'll want to help your friend to remove the spyware completely. There's a tutorial in the above link for manual removal - scroll to the middle of the page. Careful with deleting stuff in the registry - backup registry before attempting. Good luck, G

VoG II 23:40 08 Jun 04

Good point. Off to wear hair shirt and self-flagelate.

GaT7 00:00 09 Jun 04

You seem to be on for a long time each day helping folks here, & you're invariably the first to respond to most of the posts. How do you manage it? In my view you're quite brilliant* so I won't hang around to see you torture or depreciate yourself ; ) I reckon a good night's rest will get you back on track. Take care & g'night : ) G

*PS - and so are some others here. You all deserve medals!

rickf 07:50 09 Jun 04

Thanks to all for responding. Its both helpful and educational. I agree whole hearttedly re comments about Vog whose dedication knows no bounds.Will close now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…