What does "Lifetime Guarantee" mean?

pj123 15:23 28 Apr 03

Due to my age my lifetime may only be about 10 years. But to someone who is 20 or so their lifetime may be 50 years?

Does a "Lifetime Guarantee" mean anything?

watchful 15:35 28 Apr 03

I thought it meant the 'life' of the appliance because it's bound to wear out sooner or later.

In my case sooner is the operative word.

Could be wrong, usually am.

Sir Radfordin™ 15:37 28 Apr 03

It could be taken to mean two things. One the life time of the person who originally owned the object. It is a non-transferable guarantee.

You could also take it to mean that the product has a lifespan and it will last that long.

woodchip 15:41 28 Apr 03

This is the one definition click here

watchful 15:44 28 Apr 03

Yes, natural life of the product. Thought so.

pj123 15:49 28 Apr 03

But how does a Sound Card, or a Graphics Card (that has no moving parts) wear out?

watchful 16:00 28 Apr 03

Just guessing but it probably shrinks or changes with the heat or something.

cdb 16:02 28 Apr 03

What about the fan? that moves. Electronics like to die for no reason dry joints for example, I'd say that was wear (of sorts)

Watchful, it's only the natural life of the product for the origional comsumer. If he/she sells the product, the guarentee ends there.

watchful 16:05 28 Apr 03

Yes, I do know that as the link states but couldn't be bothered typing it all out!

watchful 16:08 28 Apr 03

We were making the point that it's the life of the product rather than the consumer.

dblspace 16:49 28 Apr 03

Interesting topic,who or what decides the life span of an item?.possibly it could be the period of the guarantee, which is on most items, 1yr.

dblspace

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…