What does the "Indexing" option do in WinXP Help?

Giggle n' Bits 01:01 04 Feb 04

Can anyone in plain not to tech jargon explain the function/use/ reason what the "Indexing" does in Windows XP Help & Support Section please.

When you click on this, it brings up a window and wihtin this there is a pane that looks like a blank unavailable picture/text thing.

typing in Indexing in the Help and support tool bar comes up with what indexing it but its a bit tooo complex.

I am also trying to establish if there is something not correct with this indexing option due to above showing a blank.

Anyone know what it does please.

Chegs ® 01:21 04 Feb 04

Indexing" does in Windows XP Help & Support Section please.

I think your question is a tad to vague,but I typed indexing into search box and in laymans terms,it makes XP keep track of what file goes with what folder,how often its used,etc,so XP can locate the data it needs faster when you ask it to run a program,etc.

I always turn the HDD indexing services off,as I find XP is so busy keeping track of what goes/came from that my HDD's spent most of the time whizzing about.This stopped my HDD's from ever performing their requested task,eg To switch off after 20 Mins.I leave my PC on 24/7.

DieSse 09:03 04 Feb 04

An index in a computer does the same as an index in a book - it makes looking things up faster.

Instead of having to search throught the entire book - you look up keywords in the index, and it tells you where in the book there are references to it. Same in a computer.

Giggle n' Bits 13:24 04 Feb 04

the top of the screen in the Help & Support centre in XP it comes up with a window and a blank pane. Is this Normal ? The way I see but correct me if I am wrong, do you have to train and give it the details to get a list of things in this indexing ?

Chegs ® 13:43 04 Feb 04

click here

This is the 1st screen that appears when you click the INDEX button in Help and Support.Is this what you get/mean?

Stuartli 13:48 04 Feb 04

It's exactly what it says, an Index. You key in what you want to find out about, H and S searches for it and brings up a further menu of related items.

You can also find help online using H and S.

Giggle n' Bits 20:15 04 Feb 04

I get a blank pane and no list as Chegs html link shows. it just shows a place holder where a picture should be, bit like a little square when your online but not getting all the picture drop in a web page type.

So I should be asking the Indexing list isnt showing as chegs picture shows. Help please.

Chegs ® 20:25 04 Feb 04

I would try asking in a new thread,"How do I fix my Help & Support" and put the click here to this thread(having ticked it 1st)describing as best you can,exactly what the problem is.Then you will get it sorted properly,as I haven't a clue howto fix it.

Chegs ® 20:35 04 Feb 04

Or,before trying that,open a command prompt(Start/Run and in the box type CMD)When the DOS box appears onscreen (C:\Windows> )type

SFC /SCANNOW

stick your XP cd into the drive and hit enter.This might fix it(but I doubt it,as I'm a tad sceptical about wimpdozes repairing ability)

Giggle n' Bits 20:53 04 Feb 04

thanks for the calls and same to DieSse M8's not forgetting Stuartli thank u.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…