what does a floppy cable look like

bemuzed 18:37 25 Sep 05

I removed a floppy drive form an old computer wiht a few other bits an dcables. I want to fit the floppy in another PC but am not sure what cable to use. Do I just use an ordinary IDE cable which seems to fit?

mattyc_92 18:40 25 Sep 05

It looks like this (click here) on one end

woodchip 18:41 25 Sep 05

It's flat ribbon cable with a split and twist at one end

bemuzed 18:42 25 Sep 05

Yes, I see the twist now. Does it matter which way round I put it inot the floppy?

mattyc_92 18:43 25 Sep 05

The "twist" as you put it is the end that connects to the Floppy Drive. The other end connects to the motherboard

bemuzed 18:45 25 Sep 05

the connector at teh twist end can go in one way or upside down. Does it matter?

woodchip 18:47 25 Sep 05

yes as above but red wire on one edge goes toward the plug that is power for the floppy disc

mattyc_92 18:48 25 Sep 05

It usually has a "pin" missing (blocked off) and so should your Floppy Drive. However some don't. If this is the case, just try it so the wire faces down at first and if that makes the indicator light stay on, then change it the other way round

Thalmus 18:48 25 Sep 05

yes must be plugged in the right way, you won't damage the drive if its the wrong way round it jsut won't work. If that happends just try it he other way round.

btw if you have two connectors at the end make sure you plug the floppy into the connector after the twist

bemuzed 18:58 25 Sep 05

thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…