What does Direct X Do?

Bev 19:34 21 Oct 03

Can someone give me some simple low down on what direct x actually does? I'm trying to install Adobe Premier 6.0 in WinXP (after upgrading from ME) and it won't install the direct x part - fails at this every time!!! Perhaps I should uninstall direct x and download a different version? Perhaps there is a magazine article explaining this somewhere? Help??

SheffieldSpy 19:45 21 Oct 03

From what I understand of Direct X is that it stops your computer having to completely redraw the screen every time. It then allows the computer to focus on the constantly changing parts. For example draw the Start menu when you click the "Start" button, as opposed to redrawing the whole windows desktop.

SheffieldSpy 19:48 21 Oct 03

Probably the best way to find out the truth about what Direct X is, would be to go to click here

SheffieldSpy 19:52 21 Oct 03

Is why does Direct X 9.0 have to be so different from its predocessors. I have an old ATI all-in-wonder from 1999, which seems to work with directX upto 8.1. However DirectX 9.0 doesn't work.

PA28 19:56 21 Oct 03

DX9 has to be supported by the graphics card (and to be of any practical use by the software application you're using as well. There are only a few programs at the moment (including FS2004 incidentally) but they will increase. With older (and not so old) graphics cards, they will only go to 8.1b (or is it c?) anyhow.

the version of DX you are trying to instal may be older than the version you already have hence it fails. Visit Microsoft .com for the latest version then tell Adobe premier not to instal DirectX when it gives you the option during installation. DirectX is an Application programming interface (like OpenGL) that you cannot live without. you'll only really need the latest version if you want to play the very latest games but it is fully backward compatible and does no harm to have it.

Bev 20:58 21 Oct 03

This is all extremely helpful. Thank you. I will try Horiz5's procedure and report back........

PA28 22:34 21 Oct 03

Run DXdiag - this'll tell you the version that you currently have installed. Then you'll know whether horiz5 is right. DX is a one way street - as an integral part of Windows you can only go upwards; you cannot go to a previous version without a complete reinstall as I understand it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…