What does CMOS failure affect in XP

Halmer 09:22 26 Nov 03

other than causing the time and date to be lost.

I have posted a previous thread re failure to load AVG and wondered if this could be related to the failing battery.

Or does it only save the basic BIOS/Windows time and date settings?

Jester2K II 09:29 26 Nov 03

It only saves the BIOS settings (motherbaord) and nothing to do with Windows. Winodws just reads the time from the BIOS and if the BIOS is wrong so is Windows.

Halmer 20:03 26 Nov 03

Now I get a message about the CMOS telling me to press F1 to continue. I did not get any error message when the battert was in situ but apparently flat.

Is this normal?

If you clear the CMOS (or it "fails") what you do in effect is to reset the BIOS to the factory defaults. Bios stands for Basic Input Output System and as such holds all the data that is needed by your operating ststem to "understand" what it is that it is trying to operate.

For example, as well as the time, the Bios will tell the OS what Hard drives is installed, where it is installed etc. It will tell the OS what CD / DVD drives are there, the CPU speed the Memory Speed and the the various settings for all the bits and bobs attached to the PC.

So, all in all the Bios is fairly important and does a hell of a lot more than tell the time!!!

As you have already have the battery out why not replace it with a new one and then reset the bios to all the correct settings?

Halmer 20:27 27 Nov 03

Are you saying that if a CMOS battery fails, as they will all do no doubt over time, allof the BIOS settings will be lost?

Halmer 20:35 27 Nov 03

Think that i am out of my depth.

I put the new battery in, reset the BIOS and Windows times and dates.

When I rebooted the BIOS times have reverted back to Jan something or other which is no different to what happened with the old battery in place!

Can't even get Windows to load now so I think that I have a major problem.

Time to pay someone to sort it for me I think!!

Indigo 1 22:54 27 Nov 03

Have you tried booting itno "Safe Mode" or Booting into BIOS and re-setting from there?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5