What do you think to this system?

SpyMan²°°² 00:05 06 Jan 03
  SpyMan²°°² 00:05 06 Jan 03

I have noticed a few fresh faces since i came on here last (about 12 months ago) and my how technology has advanced. I have a pc that has 1.3GHz AMD Athlon, 384mb RAM, 30 Gb 7200rpm hdd, TNT2 Graphics card and a soundblaster 512 sound card, now don't laugh but believe it or not that was a really fast system when i first got it in comparison to other systems that is but i think it is time to get rid of the old and in with the new. I am thinking of purchasing a new pc from multivision computers and have configured this custom build and would like some opinions on it. Please could you suggest any improvements or alterations you think should be taken.

60Gb UDMA 7200 rpm, Creative Inspire 5300 5.1 Speakers, 48x24x48x BURN Proof CD-ReWriter, Microsoft Windows XP Home (, 3 Years On-Site (Parts & Labour) +3 years RTB (Labour Only), Logitech Internet Keyboard & Scroll Mouse, Lotus Smartsuite 9.7 OEM, AMD Athlon XP 2700+ Processor (333 FSB), 256Mb PC2700 DDR333 RAM, 19inch Digital Monitor, Creative Soundblaster Audigy 5.1 with FireWire, 128Mb nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 8x AGP TV-Out/DVI.

My budget is £1160 and it is at £1095 at the moment. Thank you for your time.

PS Whatever happened to flecc and the crew? Have they changed their names or just can't be bothered with computers anymore?

Djohn 00:13 06 Jan 03

SpyMan²°°² Hi, Flecc is around alright, do a search for flecc and his speedos system!

powerless 00:26 06 Jan 03

Bigger hard drive maybe but you dont have to.

jazzypop 01:51 06 Jan 03

Welcome back :)

Personally, I would double the RAM. XP is a real RAM hog - you just can't throw enough at it. You should be able to stay within your budget.

goonerbill 09:21 06 Jan 03

would agree with powerless and jazzypop, bigger h/drive and double the mem. would also have xp pro, as you have to re-register with xp home everytime you change something inside ya pc i believe. ya dont say what mobo you will have, would suggest one of the new gigabyte boards.

Andymoltu 09:32 06 Jan 03

What mobo is in the PC?
Certainly go with win XP. It does appear to use a lot of RAM but 256 should be OK for now unless you are planning to do memory intensive work such as graphics or voice recognition.

Alwood 11:58 06 Jan 03

I would go for the 512 Ram. I have a Multivision,
with XP home with 512 Ram. EXCELLENT

spikeychris 12:06 06 Jan 03

Blast from the past.....

Bang a bit more RAM and your laughing...

Have you finished University?

Chris

SpyMan²°°­­³ 12:16 06 Jan 03

Thank you all for your replies.

As for the bigger hard drive i see no point as i have a 30Gb hard drive at the moment and i have loads of space on it....and thats with all my applications on it.

I agree with the extra RAM, and have now bumped the price up another £44 by doing so.

I am not sure what mobo it is, as it doesn't specify but the base model i have customised is the 'vision elite ex'. I have emailed multivision to find out what it is. I have also asked them if i am able to upgrade the mobo if necessary, does anyone know if they allow that or do i just 'get what i am given'?

SpyMan²°°­­³ 12:19 06 Jan 03

hey chris, you must have a very good memory to remember that i go uni. No unfortunately i have another 18 months to go. Thats why have money to spend on new computer....STUDENT LOAN!!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009