What do you think of my website?

Prince B 16:25 28 Dec 03

click here
This is the first site i made, just for experience, mind you i am only young but want your views on how it can be made better or other flaws.
Thanks You and

Nick1 16:54 28 Dec 03

I fear that it did not open. This is the URL that is in your posting: click here

I am using IE6.

Prince B 17:40 28 Dec 03
  Taran 18:07 28 Dec 03

I got the page to open eventually but you should know that your main Matrix style Flash intro does not size properly in alternative browsers. It looks OK in IE, but Opera, Firebrid, Konquerer on my main Linux system and my Apple Macs all displayed it about the size of a thumbnail image.

Unless your pop-ups are part of the condition of using the site I'd consider ditching them.

The images on your "Need For Speed Underground" review do not open using the javascript hook. I'm not sure without delving too deeply into your source code if this is because of filepath name errors or a PHP session ID as part of the filepath name, or perhaps a combination of both. Either way, the images are obviously on a different site to your own and linking from one to another site can have certain repercussions so you should check to see whether the target site allows it.

You should also know that if you use images from another website you really ought to make certain that they are copyright free. At the least you could put a small dedication next to each image. The Range Rover shot looks like it is from coverage of a motor show while one of your Mercedes shots clearly has the jammag.com site address on the top right corner of the image and the wreckedexotics.com image also does not belong to you.

You've obviously put a lot of work into the site and I'm sounding off about the negatives, but the legal implications of much of your site content are serious and need addressing.

I'll be interested to see where you go with it.

Good luck.

Prince B 18:23 28 Dec 03

So i should get permission from both of the sites to allow me to have there graphics?

Prince B 18:34 28 Dec 03

Dont worry i am going to fix all these faults in the coming days!

Forum Editor 18:55 28 Dec 03

although I have my doubts that they'll allow it.

As Taran says, the legalities involved in your site's content are serious matters, and you'll need to address them sooner rather than later. The technical issues are fairly straightforward, and we'll be able to help with those, but you must not use copyright protected images without the owners' consent. Grabbing images from other sites is not something you do lightly, and some companies get very touchy about it - many budding web designers have received 'cease and desist' letters from solicitors on this issue. Some site owners are happy to grant a free single publication copyright licence if they think that your site is the kind of place that they would like to see their image displayed. In these circumstances it's normal to put what's called an attribution alongside or below the image - a small line of text saying 'image with kind permission of (photographer or originator's name)" etc., but you must ask.

It's also good Internet etiquette to ask people before linking in to private web sites, and you should never, ever link into an inside page without explicit consent - just the index page. Big organisations like Microsoft or the BBC understand that millions of sites will link to them, so it's not necessary to ask.

Don't use other companies' logos without their consent - Microsoft do not allow any of their product logos to be used unless they have granted permission, and most big companies are the same. Many of them have application forms on their websites, and in those cases you'll often find that they insist on the images being used without any alteration in size, and that they are displayed against specific background colours. Often they'll want to look at your site before they give a decision - it's all about protecting their public image.

It can be a bit of a minefield, and the golden rule is: "when in doubt, don't". Ask first, and you'll be safe. In the past people have broken the rules and got away with it, but nowadays companies are far more agressive about protecting their copyright property, and you flout the system at your peril.

Taran 18:58 28 Dec 03

Some sites will let you display their images with no fuss at all but many others will ask for an "Image kindly supplied by" dedication for each image used while still others will refuse outright.

Your problem is that some of the pictures are, or look to be, from motoring media sources (sites, magazines etc) and good photography is not free, hence the image originator may not be entirely impressed by you using the pictures.

On the plus side, if you look around there are sites that offer royalty free images and many of them cover cars extensively. In fact, many car manufacturers offer images for casual use. To be on the safe side it's always worth either taking your own photos where possible or use other privately taken pictures, perhaps those taken by friends or relatives, or check out some of the car enthusiast sites where many like-minded people often post pictures free for use.

Prince B 19:23 28 Dec 03

Thanks Taran and FE, i have emailed the owner about having there images and have said that i will put 'supplied buy so and so'. And most of the car pictures i got through Google. So doe sthat count as still needing owners permission. If you look now it should be sorted.

Gaz 25 20:21 28 Dec 03

Theres no right click.

Ummm, little JS\noclick advert trick there?

Forum Editor 20:54 28 Dec 03

copyright will still apply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…