What do you do to keep your computer “healthy”?

Triprajul 17:24 21 Apr 10

Greetings:

I had my computer formatted a few weeks ago due to a crash. At that time, the technician recommended that I keep my computer “healthy” by doing certain “things” on a certain schedule. Strangely, he didn’t explain what does things are. Of course, as always, I turn to this great Forum for some advice.

Essentially, what do people on this Forum do (and recommend) to keep their computers “healthy”? Do you use the system tools that come with your OS (if yes, which ones do you recommend) or do you use programs or utilities available on the Internet (hopefully for free). FYI, my computer runs Windows Vista (SP2). Finally, some ideas on scheduling (or how often to do) "healthy" things would also be greatly appreciated.

That’s it for now and I look forward to reading your replies.

bremner 17:37 21 Apr 10

Seriously the first thing is to install decent anti virus, firewall and malware programs. Microsoft Essentail is good as is AVG amd Malwarebytes.

Make sure they are set to scan daily and have auto update switched on.

Run a program like ccleaner at least once a week.

Keep Windows Updated.

Most importantly is don't do anything stupid.

Don't open unknown attachments in emails, don;t visit dodgy websites, don't use P2P sharing applications like Limewire.

Triprajul 20:53 21 Apr 10

Greetings:

Just saying thank you to Forum members “bremner” (who recently recommended CCleaner to me and gave me some great advice about keeping my computer “healthy” and functioning) and also Forum member “babybell” (who recently recommended a large calculator called Moffsoft FreeCalc 1.2.0.6 to me. Everyone in my family loves it!) Thank you for everything. People like you make this the great site that it is!

sunnystaines 21:08 21 Apr 10

in addition also consider the free IObit Advanced Windows Care

click here

KremmenUK 06:56 22 Apr 10

Norton Internet Security
Spyware Doctor
CCleaner
Secunia PSI
Defrag on a schedule
M$ updates enabled
WPA2 protection on router
Pagefile on separate partition

mooly 07:41 22 Apr 10

What works for me with Vista,

use only Windows tools for maintenance... no registry cleaning at all (No CC :)). Have had too many unexplained odd issues in the past... not had one since, after clean install and following all this.

Defrag manually as and when using cmd.exe prompts. Using these gives a detailed report of the state of fragmentation.
Using MSE security.
Don't install loads of things you'll never use.
Use Acronis to make daily incremental backups with a new sequence started weekly.
Keep Windows updated.
Use IE8
Have Windows set to "notify" only when updates available... I like to see whats being installed and reject any optional updates I don't want... such as the recent browser choice one.

Don't believe all the magic fixes and tweaks you read... my own experience is Windows does a pretty good job.

Bench mark your system (boot times/shut down times, normal background CPU activity etc) so you know when something is amiss.

If some major problem occurs, something you have done/virus/problem update... don't try and fix it with only partial success, use the backup regime you have (should have) and roll the system back to a clean image that's never less than 24 hours old.
System restore is a "get out of jail" card... I turn it off and rely on Acronis.

Batch 09:48 22 Apr 10

A slightly different tack.....

To me a top priority is disk backup software (such as Acronis True Image). Ultimately regularly and frequently backing up to another device (such as an external hard disk) with this means that if you ever encounter serious issues (due to crash, virus or anything else "unhealthy") you can readily restore your system without having to rebuild as you seem to have had to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…