What to do witrh old PC

feenster 23:17 24 Oct 06

Just got a new PC and wondering what to do with the old one. Spec below, good in '99, but pretty poor today. Is there any value in this at all? Is it ebay or freecycle? Any thoughts much appreciated:

-15 gig hard drive
-pentium 3, 700 MHz
-256mb ram
-CD-ROM (No writer)
-Win 98

fitshase 23:19 24 Oct 06

Local school?

Koochy 23:22 24 Oct 06

Charity shop?
Young relative?

Koochy

DieSse 23:31 24 Oct 06

Practice with Linux on it. Many versions will run on it very happily, and you can learn how easy and how free Linux can be.

birdface 23:57 24 Oct 06

Use it, Up-grade it take all the parts out, Put them together again,Then when you need parts for your new machine , you will be able to do it yourself.

woodchip 00:15 25 Oct 06

Still good for letters and It may come in, For when the new goes BANG

daisy2bell 07:40 25 Oct 06

Use it for extra storage (backups)This is what I've done with my old one.It's hooked up for networking, so if I've lost something on my newer computer,or, if I delete and do a fresh install all I do is transfer the files back from the old one.

Chissy 08:20 25 Oct 06

I'm in the same situation. Just to point out that charity shops WONT accept any electrical goods, I tried that option myself.

baldtaco 12:16 25 Oct 06

As DieSse said, use it for Linux. NX needs a fraction of what comedy operating systems like Vista require to support their bloat. Perhaps just use it for simple distribution. An interesting project would be a Linux Live CD Router - click here . 15 gigs of dedicated MP3 server would probably be the most simple M$ thing.

GEEKSTA 13:00 25 Oct 06

try experimenting with the indisdes and learn whats what and maby see if you can get it up-to date and well enough to use it as you would use your new pc??

GEEKSTA 13:00 25 Oct 06

what make is it ? and what windows is it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…