What do need please?

billy 20:04 24 May 04

I have an idea and want to build a WEB sitre where users register and describe themselves according to preset criteria. I would also have numerous notice boards where users could add comments into a particular notice board chosen according to how they described themselves. The nearest, easy description would be it be a bit like Friends reunited.
Is there a software package that could help me to build this site?
Would I need a server to house it on or can I rent WEB space?
Any other advice?
PS please treat me as a novice in WEB workings. I am OK with PCs otherwise.

spuds 20:06 24 May 04

Going to be very expensive to set up this type of venture.

billy 20:57 24 May 04

Spuds - what would your guess be please?

Forum Editor 22:35 24 May 04

that's going to be the problem here - you could start such a project without having to lay out a great deal - it's the learning curve in terms of software knowledge, particularly databases. You won't find an off-the-shelf solution, so you'll have to develop the site yourself, and if I understand your concept correctly that will involve a thorough working knowledge of several web technologies.

If you're planning to make this a commercial venture I recommend that you think long and hard before starting out - many people have come up with similar ideas and many have failed. That's not a reason for giving up of course, but it is an indication that things might be a little more tricky than perhaps you realise. Before you invest any money in the project I suggest that you gain a working knowledge of MySQL and PHP. Run a test site with a hosting company and work it up gradually. You won't need to think about your own server for quite a while, which is a help, because good ones don't come cheap.

On the other hand, if you just want to do this for a bit of fun you might consider one of the proprietory forum packages like Invision Power Board
click here. Most of these packages are almost infinitely configurable, and work very well, but you will need to run on a server with a MySQL database installed.

Gaz 25 23:09 24 May 04

Yep. You would need some webspace.

Gaz 25 23:35 24 May 04

With MySQL and all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…