What do MS mean by 2006 that they willshutdown XP?

InquisitorNik 13:14 31 Jan 03

I know u have to register XP to 'enable it for full use' ,andthat they r gonna stop supporting 98SE (which i have),but Se doesnt have an activation thing, so u should still b able to use SE, but with Xp when they stop supporting it, they will deactivate XP. is this true?? and isnt it a waste of money????

Steve- 13:27 31 Jan 03

Below are some paragraphs copied from the Microsoft Piracy Basics Q&A site. Which if true answers this query.

Quote from MS Q&A site::

Will Microsoft use activation to force me to upgrade? In other words, will Microsoft ever stop giving out activation codes for any of the products that require activation?
No, Microsoft will not use activation as a tool to force people to upgrade. Activation is merely an anti-piracy tool, nothing else.

Microsoft will also support the activation of Windows XP throughout its life and will likely provide an update that turns activation off at the end of the product's lifecycle so users would no longer be required to activate the product.

Stuartli 13:47 31 Jan 03

Microsoft has decreed that it feels an operating system only has a life span of approximately four years, so will withdraw support for XP in four years' time; some corporate users will fare better.

That's why Win98 support and updates will end in the middle of this year.

Visit the MS TechNet website for the full explanation or look up other threads on the subject in the forums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…