What do I need for wireless connection ?

Grandpops 23:41 27 Dec 03

I have a Laptop and a PC which I would like to connect wirelessly together and to the Internet The PC has a modem which I would like to use for the connection.
Can you please tell me the minimum requirements

LastChip 23:56 27 Dec 03

wireless cards for the most basic connection.

Go for the same manufacturer, as manufacturing standards do vary.

Make sure you choose the same wireless standard for each card.

click here for more information.

Quiller. 00:16 28 Dec 03

If you decide to go with the wifi standard try and get the IEEE 802.11g standard over the b version,IEEE 802.11b. This will give you greater flexibility and range for a few extra pounds.
click here

A slower and cheaper alternative is bluetooth. A blue tooth dongle for the P.C. should set you back £20, while a bluetooth for a note book should be about ??? click here

This bluetooth standard would have a limited range of about 10 meters, while the new standard has a range of 100meters.

Grandpops 00:44 28 Dec 03

Thanks for the info I have purchased two belkin 54g cards but am unable to set them up.even adhoc

hgrock 10:04 28 Dec 03

setting up a wireless connection is a nightmare, i have a wireless netgear router and a ma521 netgear wireless card and have managet to get it working once, hasn't worked again. it finds the router but refuses to connect. even the netgear people gave up after trying everything, so i now use cable

SEASHANTY 12:17 28 Dec 03

Info on considerations between wired and non-wired
networking and detailed info on how to set up either network type is on the Linksys website at click here

LeadingMNMs 12:25 28 Dec 03

Have the cards been installed in the computers now or not. Is it the network that isn't working or the actual hardware ?

Assuming the network is the problem, Open a command prompt and type "ping 'IP address'" replacing IP address with the actual IP address of the other computer (e.g. 10.0.0.3). To find the IP address of the other computer, use the computer open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all", look for the LAN connection and then the IP address. Does the ping command get a response or does it time out ? If it times out are you running a firewall on either computer ?

LastChip 16:04 28 Dec 03

Setting up a network, whether cable or wireless, should not be over difficult, but like all things in engineering terms, diagnosis must be done in a logical and orderly manner.

The first thing to determin, is if the computer believes the cards are installed satisfactorily. Open Device Manager and look there for any indications of problems (exclamation marks for example). If you click on the device and select Properties, it will tell you if the device is working properly. If it is not, then the chances are the drivers have not been installed at all, or for some reason, have not been accepted by the system as being OK. To try and resolve this, delete the device from Device Manager, Shut Down the system and re-boot from cold. Let the system find the device again, and install as required.

If all is well at this point, it is always worth running the wireless cards own diagnostic program. Almost all modern cards are supplied with some diagnostic software and using it, is usually fairly self explanatory. You should now be able to ascertain whether the card is working correctly or not.

Assuming all is well at this point, hardware issues are almost certainly resolved and therefore, the problem will lay with the operating system's ability to communicate.

The very first thing to do when setting up a network is to DISABLE any firewall. Firewalls cause more grief in the early stages of setup, than any other single item. They can be introduced once you have a stable network.

You need to ascertain the computers TCP/IP address and the method for doing this will depend upon;

a. Your operating system....and
b. Whether you chose to set a manual address or accept an automatically provided address by the operating system.

The ipconfig /all command mentioned above is as good as any, but I would personally use it without the /all switch, as the information you need is often obscured in the DOS window otherwise.

Once the address is established use the "Ping" command to try and ping each computer in turn. This is done in a DOS window. So for example, if your computer address were;

The command would be;

ping 192.168.0.1

This command can be used to ping each machine with it's own address and ping the opposite machines address also.

If you get a message;

Reply from..... machine address....time data

all is well, however, a message;

Request Timed Out

Means that you do have a problem with basic setup of the cards, and it requires further investigation before trying to proceed further.

So, the ping is successful. Where now?

This will depend heavily on your operating system, so you will need to let us know what you are using before we can proceed further.

Grandpops 21:41 28 Dec 03

Still Struggling with this setup I have tried some of the suggestions.
Do I Need a Router ?
I have a PC with internal modem and 54g wireless network card and a Laptop with 54g wireless notebook newtwork card.
Can I connect to the internet from my laptop through the PC?

LastChip 21:47 28 Dec 03

We need to know your operating system.

Quiller. 21:58 28 Dec 03

As LeadingMNMs says " what is the operating system on both computers". If it is X\P then you are laughing. Presuming all your hardware is installed and there are no conflicts.

For X\P. Bring the notebook to the desktop and bootup both. Start your internet connection on the desktop. Then go to control panel \ network connections and pick set up a home or small office network. The wizard will take you through the settings, very easy. Just make sure you set the desktop as supplying the internet connection. When it is at the end it will ask how you want to setup the notebook, pick the last option of setting it up yourself.

Now run the exact same on the notebook, but pick you connect to a remote computer to access the internet. This should get you up and running.

You can now go to my computer and pick the drives or folders you wish to share. Right click a drive or folder and pick sharing and security. Click on you understand the risk bit. You can then share what you want.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…