What do I need for wired netork in new extension?

  dmm27 12:29 30 Nov 06

Hi All

Currently having a new extension built, and suddenly decided that it might be a good idea to run a wired network whilst the electrician is putting in the other stuff.

What will I need to be able to do the following:

Desktop PC will be in study with broadband modem and printer. What I want to be able to do is basically plug a laptop into any one of the kitchen, bedroom, or playroom, (all of which are part of the new extension,) and be able to use internet and access files on desktop and print stuff.

I presume I need a cable running from each room back to the study, but what else, and how do I connect them all in the study?


  dms05 15:21 30 Nov 06

It might be easier to use WiFi or HomePlug click here

  JJCUK 16:06 30 Nov 06

wifi can be problamatic, I am currently using home plug and is as easy as can be, however given the opportunity to get a wired network in while the extension is being built is probably the best idea

cat5e cabling or cat6 with a cat5 faceplate on either side should do it you seem to have everything you need ,just run the cables and terminate each end onto a faceplate near where you require it ,just like a phone extension.

click here
click here
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced