What do I need for video editing?

hawthorn59 02:25 02 Jan 09

Hi all,

One of the new year resolutions is to at least make a start on transferring all the old vhs tapes to DVD. Got a new laptop, and a present of an external 500gig hard disk so should be on the way!

What do I need in the way of software? I know there are other requirements as well but Im just asking about the software as Amazon have very good discounts at the moment.

Or perhaps my laptop has all I need? All I want to do is get the vhs content eventually to dvd or hard disk. Some minimal editing, mainly just cutting out unwanted parts. I dont see myself doing anything too fancy!

On the laptop I have

Cyberlink DVD Suite (with Power Director 6.5 and Power 2 Go)
Windows Movie Maker
Windows DVD Maker

Do I need any more? If you are recommending anything please remember ease of use and simplicity are important to me!

Amazon have Power Director 7 19.95 (was 59.95)
Pinnacle 12 ultimate 37.00 was 89.99 appx.

Reading a review of Power Director it looks good and fairly straight forward.

Any thoughts?

h

crosstrainer 05:46 02 Jan 09

As long as you have a firewire port on your PC, you should be fine...

However, Pinnacle do an add on card and very good software suite to match:

click here

Bagsey 09:23 02 Jan 09

If you just want very basic editing, chopping out rubbish biys from your old vhs tape then Windows Movie Maker will do whar you want as far as software goes. However you will need some thing to chage your VHS analogue tapes int digital format to be able to get the video onto your computer. Off the top of my head I can think of Pinnacle Dazzle which is a piece of kit that plugs into a USB port. It is not very expensive. You may find one on Ebay. I have never used that myself but I have heard good and bad reports about it so suggest that you read up on the web before you decide.Try click here

eedcam 09:48 02 Jan 09

Most straightforward is get a dvd recorder transfer your tapes to a dvd then simplicity itself to import the files to the pc /Main advantage ease of use the files are already in Mpegt2 format which is dvd they do not need to be converted nor any unedited parts will not be re encoded whcih os often a a cause of quality loss bearing in mind you are dealing with VHS quality only Then any of the video editors from Magix /adobe or ulead would allow you to edit your stuff and burn to dvd .In fact if you were to get a dvd recorder with a hard disc you could possibly do most of the editing with that.And if you just want to cut bits out there are freebies that wil do it and freebies that will finish the job off

Bagsey 15:08 02 Jan 09

Can you please explain the steps neaded to import the video files from a homemade DVD so that I can edit the video. I have tried with Pinnacle Studio, Ulead, and Windows Movie Maker and I can not find the method of importing the video files. Thank you.

eedcam 15:50 02 Jan 09

Dont know about pinnacle studio but normally you just have the dvd in the pc and selct it as the location for the software to read the files WMM cannot .You can of course import (rip) as a Ts folder Best way) then point the software to the files
In the event you dont have owt to rip with then dvd shrink is fre and will do it for you in fact you can even do basic editing inas much as chopping into different titles
Its free
click here
Once installed just put your dvd in and click open dvd once that is loaded click on backup thenin the dropdown box go down to the create dvd files and highlight Hard disc folder note where you are saving it to then click ok and wait.When finished you will have a Video Ts folder in which there will be an audio folder /Empty and video ts thats the one that contains everything . Try that and see how you fare then come back .Of course anyone with Pinnacle studio may well have a better way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…