What do i need to go wireless?

indie_chick 08:41 27 Dec 05

Please excuse the simplicity and lack of technical terms in this post because although I could probably set you up a website in several different languages, with flashing lights, that gives you a cup of tea on viewing it, using only html to create it; I would have no idea how to get the computer connected to the internet in the first place!

I have a home pc and a laptop. The home pc used to have a dial up connection so to connect my laptop to the internet I plugged one end of the cable into a phone socket and the other into the card thing in my laptop.

We now have broadband (blueyonder) on our pc so what do I need to do to connect my laptop to the internet??? . I would prefer to be wireless so I can use my laptop in my room where there is no compute or phone socket.

I have seen Belkin wireless cards that look very much like the one already in my laptop, for sale on amazon. However there is one for £15 and another for £60. I have also seen those cards (but a different make), plus a firewall box (does that sound right?), plus a memory stick (don’t know what size) together as package for £80.

Please tell me very simply as if I were a forty something dustbin man (no offence to anyone) what I need i.e if I need a modem, a router (what are they?). Also, if those items mentioned are what I need, if they’re a good price.

Thank you for your time.

Freddog™ 10:01 27 Dec 05

click here(0veypwaur2nxap45zagcho55)/netwiz/Default.aspx?cid=6

Freddog™ 10:02 27 Dec 05

Copy this:

belkin.com/wizard/(0veypwaur2nxap45zagcho55)/netwiz/Default.aspx?cid=6

Just put: www.3 at the begining

indie_chick 19:03 27 Dec 05

it says the page can't be displayed.

Forum Editor 19:16 27 Dec 05

1. A wireless cardbus adapter for your laptop, unless it is already WiFI-enabled, which will be the case if it's fairly new.

2. A wireless router/modem combination.

You connect the router to the PC (via the cable that comes with the router), and to the ADSL line, via the cable that also comes included. It goes without saying that your PC must have an ethernet network adapter installed, but this will almost certainly be the case.

Once you have the cables in place, and have connected the router to a power supply, you're ready to configure the router's firmware. This you do by following the clear instructions that come with the router. It involves launching Internet Explorer (don't worry, you don't have to be connected to the internet) and typing a number into the address bar. Hit the enter key, and you'll see some web pages, where you can enter your ISP login details. Click a 'Save settings' button, and you've done the job - your router will now automatically connect to your broadband ISP, each time it's turned on.

Install the software for your laptop card, and then insert the card. It will detect the wireless signal, and you can connect to the internet.

bazb 21:16 27 Dec 05

Hi indie-chick

if your with telewest (blueyonder) then you will require a wireless cable router, not a ADSL wireless modem/router.

Something like click here

Good luck

mgmcc 23:10 27 Dec 05

indie-chick,

With Telewest Cable broadband you *MUST NOT* get a combined "Router/ADSL Modem". This is only for use with ADSL broaband delivered via the phone line.

You need a "stand-alone" router, often described as a "Cable/DSL Router" (don't confuse the reference to DSL with models that have the built-in ADSL modem).

Forum Editor 23:22 27 Dec 05

to those who pointed out the need for a standalone router. That will teach me to read the posts correctly, and not be in such a rush.

De Marcus™ 23:47 27 Dec 05

It's Christmas, your forgiven ;-)

indie_chick 12:30 28 Dec 05

thanks for all your help. greatly appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…