what do I need to connect my pc to 1 which has net

theDarkness 15:28 21 Feb 07

Ive been told that to connect my computer to the one with internet access in the same household, I do not need a modem, I just need a card to allow me to connect to the internet pc's router, which is distributing the net access. The cable seems to use a type which looks similar to the phone cable, but thicker.

what type of card do I need, and do I have much browsing privacy?
thanks for any info -? :)

Gongoozler 15:38 21 Feb 07

Is the router wired or wireless?

Technotiger 15:40 21 Feb 07

Hi, if the pc 1st pc is connected to the internet via a modem router, the 2nd pc can connect wirelessly to the router. The 2nd pc will need a pci or usb ethernet card, both pcs would then need to run the Network Setup Wizard to make the connection.

theDarkness 15:46 21 Feb 07

i have been told i will need to connect to the other pc which has the router via a cable, so do i just need a basic £10 network card?

not sure if the main pc is using a modem router, i would imagine that was the case if the internet is all its being used for. not too fussed about having to connect via cable or not.

i tried the telephone lines in the house and my broadband modem cannot detect any broadband capable line, so i must use their router method

..thanks for any info... :)

Gongoozler 15:51 21 Feb 07

For wireless I use this Netear USB dongle click here and this PCI card click here. Both very easy to set up, but read the instructions carefully first.

Gongoozler 15:53 21 Feb 07

For cable, if the computer is old enough not to have an ethernet port, you will need a networking card such as this click here

theDarkness 15:55 21 Feb 07

is a cable for the networking card slightly larger than a standard phone cable?

theDarkness 15:57 21 Feb 07

it says for the networking card wireless is also possible

Technotiger 16:05 21 Feb 07

Also if you go the wireless route, each telephone in the house will need a adsl micro-filter.

Technotiger 16:11 21 Feb 07

My little home network is as follows - desktop pc with internal pci ethernet card connected to external safecom adsl modem router via thick blue ethernet cable.

Laptop with ethernet adapter card in slot.

Epson stylus photo R265 printer.

All connected wirelessly.

I have four normal telephones in separate rooms, each telephone socket has its own adsl micro-filter.

Gongoozler 16:22 21 Feb 07

What is the make and model number of the router?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…